Offensive Coordinator

Discussion in 'Football' started by BigDan, Jan 3, 2012.

1. BigDan

BigDan Member

Apr 8, 2009
    West Des Moines
    Will the new offensive coordinator be named by the end of this week to help recruit? Thoughts?

2. TechCyclone

TechCyclone New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Male
    Technical Services Rep
    Mawell, IA
    the AFCA convention for fb coaches is next Monday- Wednesday. I would guess contact will be made this week and then maybe a hire next week after convention.

3. jay moe

jay moe Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Educator
    southern iowa
    Hopefully we get somebody who doesn't go away from what's working during a game.

4. intrepid27

intrepid27 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Executive Recruiter - Ag
    Marion, IA
    Amen to that. I'm not convinced Herman's offense and play calling would ever be sucessful here. I'm anxious to move forward with a new O coordinator.

5. Mycology

Mycology Active Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Jedi Grand Master
    Screwston,TX
    I heard Mangino was in Ames looking for houses.

6. erikbj

erikbj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2006
    compliance officer
    hiawatha, ia
    link :skeptical:

7. Mycology

Mycology Active Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Jedi Grand Master
    Screwston,TX

Sorry forgot the :jimlad:

;)

8. VTXCyRyD

VTXCyRyD Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Not houses, he was checking out the restaurants. Needs know that Ames can supply enough food

9. ThatllDoCy

ThatllDoCy Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Entrepreneur
    Chicago, IL
    The tough part is knowing that some people are going to lose their jobs in all likelihood. That said, I am not a an of the Jet Tempo which loses the time of possession game, I understand how it works for Oregon just don't see it as an asset for us. Also, we do not have a running QB like Tebow, Jared/Sam will be serviceable runners but not of the size that can run 15-20 times per game. Frankly, I think after 3 years we have seen what Tom's Offense can do here. Looking forward to a change, and play calling that makes some kind of sense.

10. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    TH is literally a genious, but I think all too often he outsmarted himself.
    The times that he took what the defense gave him, we had success. When he tried to force the issue, we looked lost.

I am really anxious to see who is hired. I am hoping it will be someone that can develop the young QBs we have in the system for the future and get the offense rolling more consistently.

• Like Like x 1
  11. cykadelic2

cykadelic2 Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Based on recent CPR comments, the current version of the no-huddle spread offense is essentially staying as-is and will be tweaked for the strengths/weaknesses of whoever ends up as the starting QB. The offense will continue to be high-tempo when it needs to be.

Also, it appears that Kliff Kingsbury will end up at TX A&M:

Twitter

If anyone watched the LA Tech-TCU bowl game, the Tony Franklin offense for LA Tech is very similar to what ISU has run since CPR arrived. Franklin would seem to be a logical candidate given that he and CPR were on Auburn's staff at the same time.

12. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    I can't believe you seriously needed a Jimlad for that one.

13. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    I am by no means a Raisin Face fan, but there is some wisdom in his "scratch where it itches" philosophy.

14. snowcraig2.0

snowcraig2.0 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Engineer
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I hope not. The Japanese population would be terrified....

15. ribsnwhiskey

ribsnwhiskey Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Ames
    Being a 'genius' is pretty overrated when it comes to coaching football. Maybe if he were an astrophysicist or neurosurgeon it would come in handy. Obviously, a lot of non-genii (not a word, I know) have had a lot more success than Herman has as OC's.

16. State43

State43 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Graphic Designer
    Omaha, NE
    Scott Frost was getting some love from the announcers last night. I still would be open to him. Though I feel we would lose him eventually to the huskers if he had success...

17. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    I agree. I don't think testing well did anything for TH here.

I honestly have no idea why Urban Meyer hired him. Maybe he is impressed with his game planning? It sure as heck isn't because of his innovative and consistent play calling. I think Meyer wants someone who can help teach the Urban Meyer system and maybe help with the uptempo style? Not sure what TH has shown as a QB coach either. He had what, two years coaching Barnett? Every other QB that played was either inherited (AA),a JuCo (Jantz), or transfered to Tiffin. I like JB, and I think he has a lot of potential, but I don't think his development has been that spectacular. Meyer said he wanted to assemble the best staff in college football. Not so sure on that one.

Maybe I am just bitter right now because our offense stunk in the bowl game. I really want TH to do well, but I wish he had accomplished more at ISU first.

We just need someone who can get the job done as a playcaller and QB coach. We'll see what happens.

18. BCClone

BCClone Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    North Iowa

Speaking of huskers, I have a question after the last couple NU games I have watched. Why would any kid (or kids' father want his kid) want to play for Pelini. The guy is a major jack***. Screaming and yelling about everything. I know husker fans were clamoring for him, but is this what they wanted?

19. ThatllDoCy

ThatllDoCy Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Entrepreneur
    Chicago, IL
    This hire is a huge moment for CPR. If he gets this right a competent offense would lift this team immensely, a great Offense could catapult us to 8-10 wins.

20. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    Minor quibble here, but you need an IQ of 130 to be a Mensa member and an IQ of 150 to be a genius. It's a significant difference -- far more than the difference between a certified idiot and tavernhawk on the other end of the spectrum.