Notes From the Big 12 Tourney

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by rte4st8, Mar 7, 2007.

1. rte4st8

rte4st8 Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Dad and Husband
    Urbandale
    So far so good!

The OKC folks are friendly and wish us good luck. Its in the mid 60's and NO SNOW! We had one OU fan ask "Why you all have woodpeckers on your hat?" If anything looks like a woodpecker is that damn Lil' Jayhawk. KU upset OSU last night and I had to here rock chalk jayhawk (of Up Chuck Jayhawk is a better version).

If you can survive the drive across Kansas it is worth the Trip.

The ladies need to play better today if they want to make it past today. Looked like Bill was resting his players quite a bit.

Photos of Pep Rally between Ford and Cox Convention Centers and Kansas (really that is all you see south of KC until you see the red dirt of OU!

View attachment 226

View attachment 227

2. What? You get to drive through the Kansas Flint Hills, one of the most underrated scenic landscapes around.

Not that there isn't plenty of really flat land like in your picture but that part is beautiful rolling cattle country.

3. mwitt

mwitt Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Driving through Kansas is insanely boring.

4. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

I suppose it is either drive through Kansas or the dirt roads of Missouri. Not sure which is worse.

5. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    nebraska is the most boring state i ever drove through

6. mwitt

mwitt Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    I haven't had that displeasure, the farthest west I have been is Omaha. Although to get to Omaha I had to drive the entire length of the state of Iowa to get there, which is not fun in itself.

Maybe the fact that it was dark had something to do with it, but when we drove to Houston for the bowl game in '05 Kansas was by far the most boring part of the trip.

7. cmoore_23

cmoore_23 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    national guard
    Ankeny, IA
    i 2nd that.. nebraska sucks driving through..u see a bridge and its like omg a bridge

8. chadm

chadm Giving it a go

Apr 11, 2006
    Midwest
    And to think you were on the "good" side of the state. Try driving in the western half.

9. mwitt

mwitt Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    I'm not into self-torture.

10. 247cy

247cy Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Spring Hill, KS
    Those are the same hillbillys that would swear up and down that "Kalvin Simpson" was their men's coach.

11. AirWalke

AirWalke Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Des Moines
    Had to laugh about the woodpecker comment! Silly OU fans.

12. #12 EggMcClone, Mar 7, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
    I agree there are parts of Kansas that are pretty boring to outsiders but that heading south on the turnpike shouldn't be one of them (for most of it anyway). That part of the state is supposed to be featured in this month's National Geographic.

Besides what does driving through western Iowa have that Kansas doesn't? :biggrin9gp:

13. mharder

mharder Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Office Manager
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    Agreed. I've driven from CA to Iowa and vice versa. Nebraska takes the cake. No question about it.

14. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    #14 Wesley, Mar 7, 2007

It looks like the Moon.

And do nmot eat the beans at Wilma's Fried Tortillas House.

15. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    I would have to say that Kansas is much more scenic than the lower part of I-35 in Oklahoma (at least in the north).

16. JHudd

JHudd Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Male
    Plano, TX
    #16 JHudd, Mar 7, 2007
    I know this isn't a Big12 state but the Pennsylvania tollway/turnpike on I-76, I think, it eventually runs into I-80, is by far the worst drive in any state anywhere. So long, so boring, and did I say so LONG. I had to make the drive from MD when I got out of Active Duty and man did it drag along through PA. I would rather see cows, crops, tumbleweeds, anything other than concrete jersey barriers. :sad9cd:

***EDIT*** Sorry for the continuation of the thread Hijack in progress.

17. clonefarmer

clonefarmer Member

Apr 16, 2006
    My preferred way to travel through either Kansas or Nebraska is at night. No wonder football is so big in Nebraska. What else is there west of Omaha? Be sure and fill your gas tank early at a brand name station. Twice I've gotten bad gas in Nebraska. Let me clarify that--I've gotten gasoline with water in it at some independent station.

18. SuperCy

SuperCy Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Superhero. Founding memb
    Smallville/Metropolis
    My wife is from PA, so every time we drive out there we go at night.
    I mean, good god could Indiana be any worse?

19. pulse

pulse Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    The PA Turnpike is awful. I can't recall going far east on it, but from the middle of the state (the infamous Breezewood) to the western border past Pittsburgh is not flat and boring at all. Its dangerous! The road winds around, up and down, and its narrow. That isn't the bad part, the bad part is the trucks flying along doing this too. If you're ever headed southward, go through West Virginia from I79 to I68 (or is it 64). Its only about 20 miles longer, but you can go faster and there's no traffic so it makes it worth it. Oh yeah, and PA is one of the worst states to speed in. Big fines!

20. wonkadog

wonkadog Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Ames, IA
    I didn't mind the drive through Pennsylvania. Driving completely through Nebraska from West to East or vice versa is the absolute worst state drive you can possibly make in the U.S. A lot of it has to do with the underrated width of the state...it takes FOREVER.