NOTEBOOK: Time to regroup

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by ChrisMWilliams, Mar 9, 2012.

1. huntt26

huntt26 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Instructional Technology
    po' dUnk
    Some great quotes in there from Royce. I really hope we make a run in the NCAA tournament. I think as a fan-base, we are VERY down regarding the game last night. What a buzz kill it was!

2. IASTATE4LIFE

IASTATE4LIFE Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Beware of the Lion

3. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Scotty's comment that our guys lacked a sense of urgency is right on, and that's the disappointment. It's hard to imagine how it's possible to show up for tournament play without a sense of urgency.

4. CyBobby

CyBobby Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Central Iowa

Yess SIR .. I agree on the "Lack sense of Urgency".....

They played like they were an 8 seed.... WIN or LOSE.....

The results speak for themselves.....

5. bosco

bosco Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Des Moines
    Not a good outlook. We ran into a team that was desperate. What do you think the Tournament is going to have? Much better teams who are much hungrier.

With so much on the line and this team can't get up for it. Very disappointing

6. stateofmind

stateofmind Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Male
    IT
    Ankeny
    The thing about these guys is that this has been there MO all season. Whatever it is, Fred has shown the ability to get them focused again. If they can somehow beat the first team, they will find the opponent "worthy" of their effort.

Here is to me hoping that we get a lower than 9-seed so that we are a playing a "worthy" opponent every game.

7. SCarolinaCy

SCarolinaCy Active Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Greenville, SC
  8. Psiclone

Psiclone Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Defense Attorney
    Corvallis, OR
    The players' comments reflect the concerns I and others have expressed on this board for some time. When some were upset we weren't ranked, others were quite happy with the way things were because this team seems to need a reason to prove themselves. They love being "underdawgz." Combined with being ranked, knowing we're in the tournament, and getting the #3 seed, I'm not at all surprised by their letdown.

Their behavior in the game reflected a certain cockiness which doesn't reflect the fact that this team has won by playing good defense, blocking out, and playing team ball in crunch time. The team was laughing, jumping into each other and, in the case of Allen, smilingly arrogantly after almost each score. Texas, on the other hand, did not do that and were serious and focused.

Having said that, I expect the team to play the way they need to play in order to win in the NCAA's. If they lose, I hope the disappointment is in losing to a better team and not due to a lack of focus/intensity.