Notebook: Season awaits the Cyclones

Discussion in 'Football' started by ChrisMWilliams, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Clones21

Clones21 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Des Moines
    So what is Rhoads saying? Richardson is #3, but will never play UNLESS Steele and Jared get hurt for the whole season? Or what the heck? Because I'm confused about the Bueker part.

2. xboxfever

xboxfever Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    He means there not going to burn his redshirt just to have him come in for a few plays.

3. Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
    Des Moines
    Thanks for clearing that up. Sometimes I think Rhoads probably speaks too fast for his own good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Frak

Frak Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    I think that it is pretty straight forward. If Jantz and Barnett get hurt, Bueker finishes the game. If BOTH Jantz and Barnett are out for the year or an extended period of time, then Richardson would play. If they are dinged and able to play the next week, then Richardson keeps his RS on.

The thing that I don't get is the LB situation. If nothing has really changed, how is it that Klein isn't going to play two positions like last year. My understanding was:

Vs running teams or on running downs:
    WLB: Knott
    MLB: Taufoou/George
    SLB: Klein

Vs spread teams or on passing downs:
    WLB: Knott
    MLB: Klein
    SLB: Morgan/Broomfield

Is this not the case this year? I guess my question is, if Klein is playing MIKE regardless, who plays SAM in the 4-3?

5. bfross

bfross Active Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Electrical Engineer
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    It's just you. :wink:

6. Palmer

Palmer Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Male
    Education
    Johnston, IA

sort of like you posting too fast before realizing what you are doing.

exhibit number 1...hot mommy photos.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    So, against Iowa, they'll play a straight 4-3...bringing in the nickel on all of those third and longs after stuffing Coker twice. :wink:

Everyone else (except UConn, maybe Texas) they'll play the nickel.

8. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    I think that this might have been my very favorite sentence, from the section about Caspers:

That phrase made me smile. How long has it been since anyone could say that Iowa State had a "really good offensive line"? Just ask Ben Bruns!

I've thought that AA (and Meyer, and the receivers) has taken a lot of heat for the shortcomings of recent offensive lines. It would be great to see a strong pass and run blocking unit on the field from Game One!

9. Clones85'

Clones85' Just Win Baby

Jan 31, 2007
    Well this was typed out by Chris, so you can read it as slow as you want. Rhoads fast talking shouldn't stop you from figuring it out

• Like Like x 1
  10. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    I don't understand what is confusing about that. It means if Steele and Jared both go down in a single game they will put Beuker in to hand off the ball to Shontrelle and Woody. But if they need a QB to start and lead the team, they'll pull Richardson's redshirt. It's really straightforward and should be obvious to anyone who even casually follows football.

11. mizouse87

mizouse87 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Des Moines
    Quick Poll: Does Clones21 have any friends?

1) No
    2) Hell No
    3) Possibly

12. cyclone87

cyclone87 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Grad Assistant
    Ames, IA
    I think what he is saying about the linebacker switch is that essentially we will be playing a lot of nickel, Klein slides over to MLB when we play nickel and CJ/Deon play the nickel position or SAM. So basically our base package on defense is the nickel this year and as a result Klein has moved over to starter at MLB and bumped Taufoou down to second string, but of course he will play when we play a power team.

13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, it's still confusing. If Klein isn't switching positions who does play SAM? Also, if the nickel is the SAM in the depth chart, why is there still a nickelback shown? You'd think it'd be Broomfield if it was another added DB. Poor execution of the depth chart. I don't like how this season is looking. :jimlad:

14. Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
    Des Moines
    What you don't understand is Chris has to type exactly what Rhoads says. Rhoads' words are every where in this blog. Just my thoughts.

15. ljhlax

ljhlax Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Dad
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Actually, I think this post says more about you. The guy asked for clarification on the board from people who often times know a lot about the sport and the subject matter for which the post is about. Unfortunately, trolls often also browse the boards looking for inappropriate and tactless times to try and zing someone or make dumb *** comments about their social life. I'd bet Clones21 has plenty of friends, and I'm glad he is asking questions instead of acting like a cocky *** who thinks he knows it all. Maybe some of us could learn something from him.

• Like Like x 1
  16. cyclones500

cyclones500 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Male
    writer/editor
    Michigan
    In defense of Clones21, I think he meant Rhoads talked too fast and didn't make his point clear.

It didn't confuse me, but if someone reads it literally, there's some "understood" information omitted, making it sound like Richardson is No. 3, but the coach prefers to redshirt him and use Bueker instead. (which could, I suppose, sound like a contradiction).

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cyvilian

Cyvilian Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Papillion NE

No kidding! I'll never forget Austin Flynn running for his life week after week...

18. Splendid

Splendid Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Des Moines
    #19 Splendid, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
    Good point about Austin Flynn running for his life every play. Does anyone else think most offensive linemen are created about equal? They all stand 6'4", weight about 300 lbs and can move a mountain, it's just some are lucky enough to have a line coach that knows what the heck he is doing? In Austin Flynns case the o line coach was Marty Fine who was canned at Indiana before we pick him up, Macs worst coaching hire.

19. mikem

mikem Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010

Didn't mac the mediocre do that with a QB? Wasn't there a QB that he had throw one pass in a blowout loss to nebbie or somebody.

I can't remember the name, but it was definitely mac who did this. Only mac would do that, another in the what the **** were you thinking mac? moments that he was famous for.