NOTEBOOK: Gannon is hopeful; Knott to likely miss spring

Discussion in 'Football' started by ChrisMWilliams, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Ciclone

Ciclone Well-Known Member

May 5, 2008
    Clive
    Hearing anything on Wimberly?

2. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    As of Saturday, it sounded like he would be able to play vs. TCU. Will know more after tomorrow's practice. I'll keep you updated.

3. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    Geeeez. Great news. Will Knott ever be the same player again? Man, the news just keeps getting better and better.

4. CycloneNorth

CycloneNorth Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Clarksville, TN
    Knott would have really benefited from having an off season. This will cost him a needed year of progress.

5. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    Yes, which is why he is having surgery - to correct the issue.

6. Agclone91

Agclone91 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Ames
    Just curious, why do you think he would have benefited from not playing this year? He already redshirted last year.

7. clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    I think they mean an offseason of lifting, getting stronger, learning the position better in spring practices, etc.

He will lose all of that. Who knows what kind of player he'll be going forward with this kind of injury?

8. Agclone91

Agclone91 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Ames
    Fair enough, I read that as off season as in not playing. My bad.

9. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    He won't lose "all of that." That's ridiculous. He will still lift. He will still learn the position. It won't be at the rate that it could have been had he stayed healthy, but it isn't like the kid is going to sit around playing video games eating Cheetos for the next 6 months.

10. Erik4Cy

Erik4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Male
    Home Mortgage
    Urbandale, IA
    omg THIS. It annoys me when people see an athlete with a sports injury and they act as if no one has gotten stronger, faster, smarter over the course off the recovery. If their assumptions were right then Adrian Peterson would have been done by now.

11. clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    No kidding. But he is having SURGERY on his hip/groin, and it is severe enough that he is missing an entire spring. That pretty much eliminates all leg work whatsoever on lifting. Add to that all the spring practices he will be missing, that is huge.

Everyone always comments about how important spring is in a player's development, so we can't all of the sudden now say it isn't important anymore. That doesn't make sense.

You can think it's no big deal, I'm sure Luke and the coaches probably feel much different.

12. Ciclone

May 5, 2008
    Clive
    A clonedude sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

-Winston Churchill

13. MNclone

MNclone Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Production Engineer
    Burnsville, MN
    We all know what a hip injury did to Bo Jackson. Hopefully Luke has a better outcome.

14. clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    Cute. Not much of a response though.

All I know is that I'd rather see Luke Knott get an entire offseason to get bigger, stronger, and work on his techniques as a LB. But, as some have said, I guess it's no big deal. I'm sure he doesn't need it. He's already as good as he needs to be, right?

15. Rabbuk

Rabbuk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    i'm real surprised people haven't ignore listed clonedude.

16. clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    That was my thought exactly when I first read CW's post about him needing hip surgery, but I didn't want to go there. Glad someone else was thinking the same thing though.

You cannot possibly take any injury too lightly. Something like this could be a career ender. You just never know. But all the kool-aid drinkers just automatically think it's no big deal and he'll be back stronger than ever because..... you know..... Adrian Petersen did it.

17. Ciclone

May 5, 2008
    Clive
    What exactly is the alternative again? I really hope that if you have children you don't crush their souls with your incessant negativity. Luke will survive. We all will survive. Breathe.

18. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    I never said it wasn't a big deal. I talked to Luke today. Did you? All I did was note that it isn't as catastrophic as you inaccurately assumed it would be.

19. GMackey32

GMackey32 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Food Microbiologist
    Ames Via Cedar Falls
    Bo's hip injury was due to misdiagnosis and the cartilage deteriorated due to lack of blood flow caused by dislocating his hip. I'm not sure what Luke's exact injury is, but diagnosis for hip injuries have come a long ways in the last 20 years.