Northern Illinois releases depth chart

Discussion in 'Football' started by ChrisMWilliams, Aug 25, 2010.

1. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
  2. Clonehomer

Clonehomer Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I love when a opponent has a three-man race for their QB spot. Hopefully Nebraska doesn't make up their mind by the time they play us also.

3. jsmith86

jsmith86 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Cedar Rapids
    Here's to hoping they put their freshman out their and that the D-line can show him what getting sacked feels like.

4. I am surprised Cameron Bell isn't listed anywhere. Is he injured?

5. cyclonedave25

cyclonedave25 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    He isn't/can't play for the ISU game.

6. driegner

driegner Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Student
    Columbus, OH
    Why not?

7. cyclonedave25

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    Since he transferred from ISU, I'm not sure if there was a clause or if its his choice, on whether or not he plays against ISU in the future after he transfers to a future opponent.

Somebody who actually knows can correct what I just said if it wasn't 100% accurate.

8. CylentButDeadly

CylentButDeadly Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    Windsor Heights, IA
    #8 CylentButDeadly, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
    Based off of the pre-season mags, not a lot of surprises. The QB battle is intriguing. I imagine we'll see Grady and Harnish. Should be an interesting match up as NIU has a good amount of seniors on defense and returns a decent RB. NIU is a much better team than Kent St. was the previous three seasons and Toledo was from '06 & '07.

I still like the match up for us, but this could be a slug it out affair that won't be won until the 4th quarter.

9. Al_4_State

Al_4_State Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    I thought Harnish played pretty well last year. I'm legitimately surprised to see a battle at that position.

I'm nervous about this match up, but I feel better whenever I look at what happened when they played a decent team. They got whipped.

10. CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
    Windsor Heights, IA
    They did beat Purdue though, and IMO, the Boilers underachieved last year. That being said, Purdue wasn't an easy win. They nearly knocked off Oregon and they gave Ohio St. their only B11 loss. NIU didn't beat anyone with a pulse after that, but that victory over Purdue holds a little weight.

11. CyBelieve

CyBelieve Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Realtor
    Ankeny
    Freshman K.....I like to see that

I know, it might be a Sr too. Let's go with the Freshman

12. Frak

Frak Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    You know one thing conspicuously missing? The annoying smack-talking poster that we seem to get here every late summer. I hadn't even thought about it, but we have not seen hardly any NIU posters. Guess we should be counting our blessings...lakebison was annoying at times.

About the depth chart, no heights and weights? What kind of operation are they running?

13. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    There's no rule anywhere that you can't play against a team you transfered from.

There are also no rules against Giraffes playing football.

14. I know of 2 examples of players transferring from ISU and playing against us.

Joe Conklin transfered from ISU to Iowa and I believe he played against us last year. I know a few years back RB Brian Thompson transfered from ISU to Illinois State and he started at RB for them against us.

Also, what about Haluska in hoops?

And to say the player has a choice, why wouldn't Cameron Bell want to play against us?

15. RedBlooded

RedBlooded Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Des Moines
    Maybe the kid doesn't want to be in a awkward position.

16. CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
    Windsor Heights, IA
    The internet hasn't yet hit Dekalb.

17. So you are suggesting he told his coaches he doesn't want to play against ISU because it will be 'awkward'? It's college football, not Pop Warner.

18. cyclonedave25

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    Ok, well then obviously it was his choice not to play against us. Why did he decide that? I don't know, but I bet you can send him an email and ask.
    But, it has been known for awhile that he wasn't going to play against ISU.

19. Al_4_State

Al_4_State Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    They looked helpless against USF. Granted, USF is an extremely talented squad, but they've also had a hard time putting it altogether at times.

Regardless, USF's strength wasn't a dominating defense, and they smothered NIU.

I'm not trying to pad my confidence level, just be as realistic as possible. We SHOULD win this comfortably. Keep in mind "should" and "will" are not the same thing.

20. cyclonedave25

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    #20 cyclonedave25, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
    And I'm not positive, but don't some teams/conferences not allow you to transfer within the conference or against future opponents? Obviously, it has happened before, but maybe some coaches or schools don't like having players transfer to a future opponents school, and if you do, you can't play in that game? I don't know.

And Judoka, there's no way a Giraffe could pass the classes and stay academically eligible. So, no, they couldn't play football.