NO HUDDLE

Discussion in 'Football' started by blood94, Sep 4, 2012.

1. blood94

blood94 Member

May 10, 2010
    How many of you are happy like i am that they don't waste time looking back at the coaches before snapping the play. how many times on saturday did we just line up and go with a run that went for 5-10 yards where last year when they looked back would have maybe gone for 3 yards or a stuff. that is what up tempo is suppose to be any thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. CLONECONES

CLONECONES Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Real Estate
    RVA
    everytime they check it i lose it

hate that ****

3. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    I saw us do it in the 4th quarter when the score was 31-23.

4. pyrocyz

pyrocyz Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Ames
    I took that one as a chance to run some clock, not as a check on the play.

5. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Looked like they did that sometimes, but not always. It did seem like the overall tempo was much quicker.

6. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    I like the way they controlled the tempo, but it's not always supposed to be a hurry up. Sometimes the run up to the line just to prevent substitutions and then get the play.

7. State43

State43 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Graphic Designer
    Omaha, NE
    It's annoying when it's constant. Don't mind every once in a while to double check.

8. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    As long as it is just as annoying to the defense, I don't care.

Seriously, it seemed that the offense (and Jantz) were much more comfortable and went with it a lot more.

9. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    Even if it was sometimes you do have to check out of a play if the defense is lined up to stop it. Occasionally checking is fine. Checking every single down is ridiculous.

It's like drinking. Nothing wrong with a beer here and there. But if you're downing a handle every night you've got problems! Same with checking to a new play every single down.

10. LostinIowaCity

Jan 15, 2011
    Male
    Ames, IA
    I think the fast tempo will be very important on Saturday. After watching some of the Iowa/NIU game, I looked to me like Iowa's d-line got tired (even early in the game). If we can establish a run game early, I can see Johnson, Woody, and White having big games.

11. Sloup

Sloup Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Ames, IA
    The 'ol Muskrat offense, RIP. Let Jantz read the defense and start the play.

12. CLONECONES

CLONECONES Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Real Estate
    RVA
    still feel the zone read is being utilized too much

sure SJ has his rush TD on a beautiful read, still don't think he's mastered it quite yet

13. ajk4st8

ajk4st8 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Ankeny
    I think forever, people will confuse 'no huddle' and 'hurry up' offense.

14. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    STeele just isn't smooth with it. I mean, even when it works it looks clumsy. That said, the play does work and when you get that play to work, all of sudden a lot more things open up in both the running and passing games. See: Denard Robinson 2010 vs. Denard Robinson last Saturday. That reminds me, I was going to do a little thing on how not to run option plays (Like Michigan does now) vs. How to run them (How basically anyone with spread knowledge does it).

15. everyyard

everyyard Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    Winning = happier fans. Losing = got to blame it on or complain about something.

16. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny

Then I'm glad he got some practice with it against Tulsa. Hopefully he will be even better with it next week against Iowa. It also helps set up some other plays for when the D expects read option and boom, TD pass to Lenz.

17. CycloneWarning

CycloneWarning Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2008
    I expect we might see it more this week with crowd noise at Kinnick. As long as we win, I could care less.

18. EveryYardForISU

Nov 9, 2009
    Ames
    Fixed.

19. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    I think Herman over-analyzed EVERYTHING to death. Mess is more simple IMO. Mess would rather just go up to the line and run what his first instinct told him, and then to trust it.

I like that approach MUCH better. The O-line has to like it a lot better too. Quit messing around and play football.

20. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009

You know, I noticed it a few times during the game, but it didn't stand out in my memory until the OP of this thread. Yes, it bugged me when they did it, though I understand the theory about how we are supposed to be able to make adjustments based on who is on the defensive side of the line. However, it seemed like we just ran the same plays anyway for the last few years rather than make what seemed to me like appropriate adjustments. Until now, I hadn't even thought that this might be a Herman-ism. It certainly was stupid looking.