Nice ESPN article on Park's growth

Discussion in 'Football' started by Bewilderme, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Bewilderme

Bewilderme Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Minneapolis
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ZB4CY

ZB4CY Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Male
    West Des Moines, IA
    Thought it was a great article. I'm sure most of us already knew his background coming to ISU, but I for one, am very excited to see what he can do with a full spring this year and being ready to roll come Fall.

3. cyhawkdmb

cyhawkdmb Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Insurance
    CB
    Some pretty heave stuff in the article.-- He’s going to find a way to be successful. And he’s going to be an NFL quarterback if he keeps his head on straight.”

I guess I hadn't really thought of a ceiling for Park.

4. jay moe

jay moe Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Educator
    southern iowa
    Really excited to see the development he has made since he first arrived last fall.

5. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
    I was in Camp Lanning last fall, but I'm also hoping that Park knocked off a lot of rust, and has a Solomon Young-esque awakening :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stewo

Stewo Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Male
    Commodity buyer
    Iowa
    Crazy to think he still has two years left.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ripvdub

ripvdub Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Male
    Sk-Ankeny
    Same here. Wanted Lanning to win it, but very excited for Park going into next year

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. DSMCy

DSMCy Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Male
    West Des Moines
    I forget this all the time. I keep thinking him and Lanning are both seniors.

9. CyValley

CyValley Well-Known Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Love 'em both, Park and Lanning. Hope both have great success this fall (yeah, everybody who sweats cardinal and gold wants that, but sometimes, though, you just gotta say the obvious out loud, right?).

I like the Dean Carlson-George Amundsen comparisons to Park-Lanning, but, heck, we got David Montgomery and Mike Warren, too, and that's different from back then, I think. Man, I can still see DM turning the corner late in the season with speed and power. Zoooooom man.

I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to confuse a defense with both Park and Lanning on the field together because that would scream "trick play!" But, I'll bet CMC and CTM can envision something cool. That's why they get the big bucks and the rest of us sit in the stands ;-)

10. demoncore1031

demoncore1031 Well-Known Member

May 18, 2008
    Musician
    Albuquerque,NM
    Park is the most talented QB we have had since Seneca, easily. If he works his arse off then he could end up breaking some school single season records this year.

• Agree Agree x 7
  11. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Campbell and Manning have talked about working on ways to get both Park and Lanning on the field at the same time. I can't wait to see how they do it.

12. KMAC_ATTACK

KMAC_ATTACK Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Waterloo
    No doubt about it.... For me - the telling sign was the first time i saw him look downfield - it was covered and he moved his head to a second and a third receiver for a 4 yard completion. Thats when i knew we had a qb.... all too often our offense was predicated on quick fast throws - single read timing plays - easily defensed. That could be a large part because the QB had no time... But, the way park sat in the pocket and surveyed the field - it looked like a Georgia QB and lately thats a huge compliment!

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. IsUaClone2

IsUaClone2 Well-Known Member

May 12, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    In front of the computer
    If I remember correctly (I self-medicated too much back then), the Carlson/Amundsen plays started with Carlson at QB and Amundsen split out. Carlson threw/lateraled to Amundsen who threw down field. They did this a time or two, then changed it. Sometimes they reversed positions, sometimes double throws before advancing the ball. Yes, many people knew it could be a trick play but they developed so many options that you didn't know which one but you knew something good was going to happen.

Hearing rumors of Lanning playing several positions make a lot of sense to me. Just like Amundsen, Lanning has a great combination of ability, toughness, and determination to be a real threat. He may not be the best in the country at any one position but he may be the best at multiple positions.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RedBlooded

RedBlooded Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Des Moines
    Jones was Qb. having Lanning, Park and Jones out there all at once would be interesting

15. srjclone

srjclone Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Male
    Minneapolis
    Jones was essentially a running back. They very rarely threw, IIRC

16. harimad

harimad Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Female
    IT Systems Architect
    Illinois
    Park at FS, Lanning at LB?

17. SolarGarlic

SolarGarlic Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2016
    \

Montgomery was a QB as well. I'm not a huge fan of gimmicks, but thought it should be noted.