New strategy for fighting Al Qaeda

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by iceclone, Nov 18, 2007.

1. iceclone

iceclone Member

Nov 26, 2006
    The NY Times is reporting that a new strategy is being considered for fighting Al Qaeda and the Taliban in the border regions of Pakistan. The idea is to try to replicate the success the military has had enlisting the help of local tribes in Anbar province:

WASHINGTON, Nov. 18 — A new and classified American military proposal outlines an intensified effort to enlist tribal leaders in the frontier areas of Pakistan in the fight against Al Qaeda and the Taliban, as part of a broader effort to bolster Pakistani forces against an expanding militancy, American military officials said.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/19/washington/19cnd-policy.html?hp

To the local tribes, the Arabs that are guarding Osama bin Laden have to be sticking out like a sore thumb. If their support can be enlisted, I think it would be very successful.

2. alaskaguy

alaskaguy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I would think that there would be a better chance of success from implementing this strategy than the current strategy (relying primarily on air power).

3. Johnny Tremain

May 31, 2007
    Central Iowa
    See link. Interesting article; background on General Patreaus' strategy in Anbar province and more.

Zakaria: Iraq: Major Campaign Issue? | Newsweek Voices - Fareed Zakaria | Newsweek.com

4. herbiedoobie

herbiedoobie Active Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Military Training Scenario Writer
    Germany
    #4 herbiedoobie, Nov 19, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
    Oddly enough, the strategy for Al Anbar was derived from our "success" in Afghanistan. We borrowed the Provincial Reconstruction Team and dependence on the "tribal structure" from there, anyway.

Everything old is new again....

5. alaskaguy

alaskaguy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I have a question concerning the article linked by iceclone. The article states, "The United States now has only about 50 troops in Pakistan." Could somebody clue me in on what "50 troops" means?

6. herbiedoobie

herbiedoobie Active Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Military Training Scenario Writer
    Germany
    The only place I can think that we have "troops" is in Lahore. And that is kind of a "presence" base, used to house "advisors" to the Pakistani military.

Everything else I've heard has been Rumint(tm).