New Director of Football Operations named.

Discussion in 'Football' started by KMAC_ATTACK, Jan 9, 2009.

1. cyclonepower

cyclonepower Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2006
    WDM
    sweet maybe we will play an arena style offense...wait, nevermind

2. cybsball20

cybsball20 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Financial Analyst
    Des Moines, IA
    Interesting hire... almost all of his coaching experience is in the AFL... are we gonna have guys play both ways? First coaching hire that I am indifferent to...

3. GeronimusClone

GeronimusClone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Communications
    Des Moines, IA
    I don't like that we point out that our hire lived in Iowa as if it's a qualification all the time. BFD.

4. sunset

sunset Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Corporate Finance
    San Diego, CA
    What does a Director of Football Operations do?

5. wartknight

wartknight Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    The guy is the DFO, not a position coach. I wouldn't be too indifferent. A DFO isn't going to have much of an impact on what we see on the field on way or the other.

6. Tornado man

Tornado man Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    I like the fact that we're hiring guys who aren't wondering, along with their families, "are we really going to like it here?"

7. JCloned2

JCloned2 Member

Dec 29, 2008
    One of the often unknown elements of the AFL and associated leagues is the role that recruiting plays. I had often assumed that like other pro sports that recruiting isn't a part of the deal, but in fact it plays a big role. Besides the actual recruiting the management & administration is a big deal and it sounds like he will b e a good fit here. Perhaps more than any other position, this role is the right hand of the HC so having someone with a history and close relationship should help them get off the ground running. Not a typical hire, but a good fit I think

8. AustinCyclone

AustinCyclone Active Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Relax guys. The Director of Football Ops is responsible for making the travel arrangements, coordinating coaches schedules, etc. It is not a major position relating to recruiting or player instruction/influence.

9. CrossCyed

CrossCyed Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Oh, I do stuff
    Iowa
    DFO does more stuff off the field...making sure stuff runs smoothly at home and on the road. They are on the sidelines, but don't really coach.

10. wesley_w

wesley_w Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Ames, Iowa
    I think one of the duties of this position is with relations with high school coaches and setting up clinics and things like that. Just out of curiosity, I'd be interested to know what some other things Brian will be doing if anyone happens to know.

Edit: it looks like this was partially answered while I was typing this..

11. Melvin

Melvin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Crete, NE
    I'm dumb on this subject, but:
    a) the Director of Football Operations reports to the Head Football? It sounds funny but makes sense.

==>PR is making $1.0 million and my guess is that BS is making a lot less than $1.0 million.

12. IOWASTATE

IOWASTATE Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Ames
    Even tho he wont be handling anything really as far as actual coaching goes, its nice to know hes been around winning and has proven he can win.

13. tejasclone

tejasclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Technical Writer
    Austin, TX
    Does the DFO have any influence on the pregame activities/player intros? I was just thinking that someone with AFL experience might know to do some razzle and dazzle - and maybe get people here to stop complaining about it so much.

14. JCloned2

JCloned2 Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Not typically that is usually the work of the marketing folks in athletic departments

15. Clonefan94

Clonefan94 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Graphic Designer
    Schaumburg, IL
    Is it in any way similar to the Assistant to the Traveling Secretary for the New York Yankees?
    [​IMG]

16. cybsball20

cybsball20 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Financial Analyst
    Des Moines, IA
    It is probably very similar to the Traveling Secretary actually, not the assistant.

17. Jonecy

Jonecy Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Creative Thinker
    3.5 Hours From Trice
    Welcome aboard Brian!....and your family too. Glad to have you with us. :)

18. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    What the DFO does depends on the program and person. Some guys are just glorified secretaries and others are very involved - even in coaching to some extent.

Chizik noted at one of the coaching seminars that his DFO was working toward becoming a coach.

19. zach

zach Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2006
    The Subs
    His resume also indiactes he was a three-time academic all-America. I don't think much of this staff fits the "dumb jock" mold.

I likee

Z