New defensive coordinator?

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by Michael Lastuvka, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Michael Lastuvka

Aug 21, 2006
    Des Moines
    I'm hearing Joe Whitt, Jr., cornerbacks coach and recruiting coordinator at Louisville, might be on board. Whether he'd be our d-coordinator or not, I don't know.

Whitt, Jr. knew GC from a year coaching together at Auburn when Chizik was d-coordinator and Whitt was a grad assistant. Chizik also coached with Whitt Sr. (father) at Auburn, so there's some history there.

Jr. would be a good get, he's considered an excellent recruiter. He was responsible for bringing in the best football class in the history of Louisville. He recruits Alabama very hard, and was responsible for stealing 4 star DE Peanut Whitehead away from hometown Auburn and Alabama.

2. clonerules

clonerules Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    sounds like he wouldnt be a bad pick up. anyone who can recruit the sec is cool with me!

3. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    is chuck norris still in the running?

4. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    If we get four or five recruiting types for Ames, we should be on the rise. We need juco connections tomorrow. If we want an oline, we need jucos. Nebraska has 17 jucos. Zac Taylor is a Butler juco.

5. jkoo

jkoo Member

Apr 21, 2006
    student
    so if we GC hires a OC and DC what is he going to do? I always assumed he'd be like stoops and take of the DC ranks as well as head coach

6. isucy86

isucy86 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Jamie Said GC Would be a CEO

In Jamie's interview on KXNO last week he said a big reason he hired GC was because Gene would run the FB program like a CEO. My interpretation of that is Gene will let an OC & DC handle the day-to-day and play calling.

That doesn't me that he can't make suggestions to either coordinator during the week or in regard to play calling.

7. jkoo

jkoo Member

Apr 21, 2006
    student
    Re: Jamie Said GC Would be a CEO

it almost seems then we are paying him A LOT of money to "supervise". Nothing against that, because I know JP knows more than I, but it almost seems to me it be better to have GC do what he does best, that is lead the D.

8. Costanza

Costanza Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Importer/Exporter
    Queens with Franks & Estelle
    I think that he needs to make sure his assistants can coach. We are not going to outrecruit everybody in the Big XII. We need to be able to out execute more talented teams. I agree that the assistants do have to be able to recruit but I dont think that is the most important thing.

9. CyHawk

CyHawk New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    We need to consistently overachieve!!!!

10. Lastplace

Lastplace Member

Oct 23, 2006
    that would be a huge get

11. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Sounds awesome to me. Louisville has been consistently recruiting with the big guys in the last couple years.

12. dccyclone25

dccyclone25 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Ames
    Re: Jamie Said GC Would be a CEO

That's the way its done most everywhere. We were paying Mac a lot of money to just "supervise."