Neighbor's Dog Problem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CRcyclone6, Dec 20, 2009.

1. CRcyclone6

CRcyclone6 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Male
    Recruiting
    Cedar Rapids
    I have a neighbor that lives across the street and down a house. They have 2 pit bull type mix dogs. These dogs are continuously running around our neighborhood, unleashed, coming on different properties, doing their thing, etc.

The first time, I went over and told them their animal was ******* and ******** around our kids sandbox, picnic table. They said ok, sorry. I thought ok, no big deal. The next time, I was in the back yard raking leaves, and one of them came through the gate, growled and stared at me. So I smacked it with my rake. (prob not the smartest thing to do)

I called animal control, they said to call them when the animals are out. Lots of good that does, the dogs are back in by the time they get there. Today I was shoveling with my 5 and 2 yr old and 7 month old basset. The basset was leashed, the kids were not.

The smaller one came over, was going after my dog, I hit it with my shovel and it went back and stood on the sidewalk. What's the next step? Police? They have been there 4 times in the last yr for multiple things. Mostly disputes between the couple. Once 9 police cars showed up. Shows you what kind of people they are. It did make for an interesting Fri night though.

Should I go renegade and put a pellet in their legs the next time they venture over? Try and trap them in the garage? Bowl of antifreeze on their trail? Call the A Team?

Any thoughts.

2. ketelmeister

ketelmeister Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2006
    I'd move if I could.

3. cycloneML

cycloneML Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Kansas
    i think you were on to something with the shovel to the side of the head.

4. CRcyclone6

Dec 27, 2007
    Male
    Recruiting
    Cedar Rapids
    Moving isn't an option. Nice neighborhood. Lots of kids for our's to play with. That is another worry.

5. erikbj

erikbj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2006
    compliance officer
    hiawatha, ia
    I assume you are concerned for the safety of your children and Basset, because these dogs are unfriendly at best. I would call the police so if there is a record of you complaining. Not sure if they are going to do much unless you tell them that the dogs went after your kids, they make take the dogs away. However if the dogs attack your dog or kid - you could sue the police for not doing anything.

6. CRcyclone6

Dec 27, 2007
    Male
    Recruiting
    Cedar Rapids

I am concerned for the kids and my own dog. I called again tonight. They have record of me calling before. I hope the owner of the house sells it soon instead of renting to these losers.

7. cycloneML

cycloneML Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Kansas
    call the owner of the house and express your concerns and he will start to think about his liability.

8. erikbj

erikbj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2006
    compliance officer
    hiawatha, ia
    if it is a rental property, call the landlord.....first they may not be able to have that type of animial in the house or the landlord i am guessing he has some liability of the renters if their dog attacks somone, since he owns the property.

9. CRcyclone6

Dec 27, 2007
    Male
    Recruiting
    Cedar Rapids

i've talked to them twice. He/she have no concern and are not smart enough to think. Believe me I've tried.

10. CRcyclone6

Dec 27, 2007
    Male
    Recruiting
    Cedar Rapids
    that's one thing we haven't done. good idea.

11. 2forISU

2forISU Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
  12. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    Craigslist it.

13. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    Silence it....permanently.

14. CyCrazy

CyCrazy Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Asst. Super.
    Roland
    Marshmellows dipped in antifreeze, works on raccons. And how will they prove it :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  15. CRcyclone6

Dec 27, 2007
    Male
    Recruiting
    Cedar Rapids

the thought has crossed my mind. i wonder if Linn Co lock up has wireless internet so I can keep you all up to date when Im in there then.

16. safmusic

safmusic Member

May 30, 2006
    I'd agree with this. Legal channels will take for ever and lawyer costs a lot. Who do you know on your city council. They also could be liable letting this go on.

17. ISUCyclones

ISUCyclones Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ames
    Been in a similar situation, started taking dumps in my neighbors yard, problem solved.

18. cyadict

cyadict Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Ankeny
    Some anitfreeze and a box of doggie treats...done deal.

19. CRcyclone6

Dec 27, 2007
    Male
    Recruiting
    Cedar Rapids

yourself or your dog?

20. CyAg

CyAg Well-Known Member

May 22, 2006
    Just follow the system, and it will work.
    Call the police, animal control every time you see it.
    Call the landlord, be polite, but explain you are reporting it, and if there is a problem since he has been notified you will hold all responsiible
    If in your yard feel free to protect as needed, but forget the crap about the antifreeze.
    Just do what you need to do, correctly.