Need someone with photoshop....

Discussion in 'Football' started by clonedude, Aug 5, 2013.

1. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    ... to take the colors of the throwback uniforms and put them on our current uniforms.

I absolutely love the throwbacks and wish we could just stick with them, but I know that will never happen. But the next best scenario IMO, is to at least make our "gold" really gold like in the throwbacks, and make our cardinal more like the cardinal in the throwbacks as well.

I cannot stand yellow. Yellow is NOT gold. It would look sweet to make this change, and then we wouldn't look like we totally copied USC either. Oh.... and also stick a gold stripe down the middle of the helmet too. Then they would be perfect.

2. cycophagus

cycophagus Member

Aug 16, 2012
    MN
    Seconded!! Love that JT gold!!!!

3. F5cy

F5cy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Washington, D.C.
    Agree. If we can't keep the throwbacks as a permanent change (even with some possible minor modifications) - then I'd like to see us go with the real gold as well. The cheer squds the past year or two have had real gold as part of their uniform. Not sure it was all of them, but I seem to remember maybe the poms having gold accents?

4. JUKEBOX

JUKEBOX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
  5. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Male

Not bad. I like it. Can you put a couple gold stripes on the shoulders and one in the middle of the helmet too?

6. Kagavi

Kagavi Active Member

7. CyValley

CyValley Well-Known Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Yeah, me, too. The real gold is tops. Let's get the real colors on the unis. After all, the SF 49ers copied our unis, correct? Why did we abandon it, I wonder? It was Johnny Majors who went to yellow gold, right?

Stapleton's boys wore gold (I saw the 1967 ISU-Iowa freshman football game, the Cyclones wore gold, not yellow. It was distinctive.) How far back does the use of gold go at ISU, anyone know?

If there was a vote (or a poll) I would mark gold over yellow without hesitation. Wonder if I'd be with the majority?

8. CostaDelMar

CostaDelMar Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    What needs to happen to make this a reasonable change?

9. Rods79

Rods79 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Des Moines
    This is where the design was before we went full on USC colors:
    [​IMG]

10. Bader

Bader Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ankeny
    Goooo, had not seen that...yes please. I have been stating forever they should switch to the 49ers/FSUs color scheme, but I'll happily take this

11. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    It wouldn't even be full on FSU colors because their Garnet is darker than our Cardinal and the 49ers Scarlet is different than Cardinal as well.

I would love this change. Would need to be changed on the logo too though, which is probably why it wont happen. They've spent a crapload of money to plaster that logo everywhere.

12. 19210

19210 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    I've always liked the ol' notre dame helmet look with the walking Cy. Here is a link to the helmet history. ISU Helmet History - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports Gold was our original colors appears. I wish we would have gotten this right the first time and went cardinal and gold like the photo shopped picture. Oh well everything is getting better little by little so maybe some day.

13. Luth4Cy

Luth4Cy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Ames, IA
    I personally would be fine if they switched and used the gold just for football but not necessarily for everything else. For some reason I've never been a fan of the old gold on a basketball court.

14. mtowncyclone13

mtowncyclone13 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2012
    grundy center
    have you all forgotten our original colors were black and silver?

15. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    That's it. I'm showing up like this for the UNI game.

[​IMG]

16. cyclones500

cyclones500 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Male
    writer/editor
    Michigan
    I see that as a balance between the yellow-gold and true metallic gold ("the 49ers gold") ... if it struck that balance, I'd be all for it, applied to current standard uniform design.

ISU has gone back-and-forth on its shades of cardinal and gold during my lifetime. I prefer a "dirty-mustard" gold and cardinal that is neither too bright nor too maroon.

17. ISUCyclones2015

ISUCyclones2015 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I'm not gonna lie. I would've loved to have seen Black and Silver as our school colors.

We could have black fieldturf :jimlad:

18. 19210

19210 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    So you're saying you like it "dirty"!! :shocked: I love the avatar, just a huge fan of the walking Cy. I wonder how I could purchase a helmet like that. Also, is it true our colors were originally black and silver or did I miss a sarcasm pirate? If true, I've just been edumacated!

19. CostaDelMar

CostaDelMar Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Is it just me, or do our pants look like the "maize" ones Michigan wears?

20. Kagavi

Kagavi Active Member

Our colors were gold, black, and silver. One could argue we were actually black and gold before Iowa. Straight from the 1894 Iowa State College Bomb yearbook:

View attachment 21130

Edit: Purple was also frequently used for I. A. C. lettering.