Need help, Moving to Springfield, IL and need advice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BCforISU, Sep 11, 2012.

1. BCforISU

BCforISU Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Madison, WI
    My wife and I are relocating from Florida to Springfield, IL. If anyone has lived there, or has family there I would appreciate any advice you could give.

We are renting, need a house with a fenced in yard, we have 2 dogs.

1. Where should we live, west side looks good, we are looking for newer home decent budget.
    2. What is there to do for mid 30's with no kids, like to have a good time, etc.
    3. Is there any ISU fans there? We sure hope we can have a group to hang with.
    4. Any advice on rental companies, etc.

Thank you very much for any advice, we are looking to be there by mid October at the latest.
    GO STATE!

2. BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
    Madison, WI
    bump, guess no one from Springfield, IL.

Thanks

3. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    I have visited many times, but probably am not much help. Driving around, there are definitely areas you want to avoid, but I am of no help there either, sorry.

4. 00clone

00clone Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2011
    "Before" picture model
    Iowa City area
    Using the new 'member map' up on the top of the page, a PM to nrg4isu might yield something...that's all I got.

5. simply1

simply1 Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Also city data is pretty good usually, not for cyclone get togethers of course.

6. BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Thanks guys, I knew it was going to be a reach.

7. Agkistrodon

Agkistrodon Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Biology Grad Student
    Fayetteville, AR
    I can't help with most of your questions, but I can tell you that if you enjoy the outdoors there's a lot to do in this area. Plenty of reservoirs for boating if you're into that. The Buffalo River isn't that far from Springfield. It's one of the few undammed rivers in the lower 48, and it's managed by the NPS. Lots of hiking, tubing the river (when it's not as low/dry as it is now) and other stuff. There's caves in the area too, but I have yet to check any of them out.

8. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    You can attend Cyclone games on the weekend.

9. MidwestZest

MidwestZest Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Production Engineer
    Decatur, IL
    This. :yes:

BCforISU, we live in Decatur, not too far away and have season ticks. Can't really be much help to you in terms of Springfield though

10. Have a Horseshoe they are tasty. They also have a pretty good 4th of July show at the Old Capital. Sorry that's all I got.

11. Prometheus

Prometheus Member

Sep 11, 2012
    #11 Prometheus, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    Look into Chatham which is just South. At one time Springfield was a good clean mid-sized central Illinois town, but like about all of them from Jacksonville, to Peoria, to Galesburg, to Rock Island, to Rockford, to Decatur have suffered and are kind of dirty and have some areas where you don't want to be in after dark. Their closeness to Chicago attracts/supports the gang banger element.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Agkistrodon

Agkistrodon Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Biology Grad Student
    Fayetteville, AR
    I can't read. I thought this said Springfield, MO when I read it last night.

Although, I used to live kind of near Springfield, IL as well and still can't really help you with your question.

13. HuxleyClone

HuxleyClone Member

Sep 16, 2007
    I second the Horseshoe tip.

14. 2forISU

2forISU Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Chatham is the best area. It is also close to a little lake.

15. BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Yes, this will be happening, season tickets will be purchased for next year and hoping to make a couple November games for sure. We are very excited about this. We actually found a place in the West part of town and really enjoyed that area.

Thanks everyone for your insight!