NCAA defensive rankings

Discussion in 'Football' started by docholihawk, Nov 25, 2012.

1. docholihawk

docholihawk Member

Oct 9, 2012
    disabled
    clear lake
    I was just looking at the NCAA rankings of the FBS. Iowa State was ranked 90th in total offense which I wasn't to suprised by but what I saw was ISU defense was ranked 93rd in total defense. Can this be right?

2. swarthmoreCY

swarthmoreCY Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Here nor there
    Do you knownothing?

3. Rural

Rural Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    If based on yardage, that ranking isn't surprising at all.

4. justcynn

justcynn Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Cabot, AR
    Too lazy to look it up but by the same measures, where are the other big 12 defenses? Iowa state had a servicable defense in an offense happy league, once thought to be elite and now realized to be average, injuries didnt help. I suspect Iowa states defense in another league could have been top ranked such as the big 10 and also would have been much better had the offense been up to big 12 standards.

5. megamanxzero35

megamanxzero35 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2011
  6. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    This. As far as I'm concerned total yards is a worthless measure, as a lot of defenses are designed to give up yards between the 20s. For instance, we finished in the the 90s in total defense, but 36th in scoring defense. Sure, had we given up fewer yards we probably give up fewer points, I'm just making the point that if you base the argument that "our defense sucks" on total yards given up being in the bottom quarter-ish in the NCAA, your argument gets blown up when it is revealed that scoring defense is in the top quarter-ish in the NCAA.

7. State43

State43 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Graphic Designer
    Omaha, NE
    And when you lose a couple of your best players through the year, it will drag thos defense statistics down some as well. I always get in the arguments when other fans bring up how many yards we give up. Yards are not points so really, it's a pointless statistic

8. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    If we played in a different conference, ah-hem like the Big 10, we probably would be even higher on scoring defense. The problem remains our offense.

9. swarthmoreCY

swarthmoreCY Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Here nor there
    +2
    Until we can get more pressure on the QB from the Dline, our current scheme is our best option.

10. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    This Defense is designed to not give up the big play and touchdowns. They will let a team dink and dunk all day long outside the 30 then they tighten up and stop a team from scoring.

11. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    We play in easily the most prolific offensive conference in the country. So our defensive numbers are not going to be great. Being 36th in scoring defense is actually incredible considering the high octane offenses we face.

It's the offensive side of the ball where we can't keep up. Either us or KU has to have the worst offense in the Big 12 by far, and it probably isn't even close.

To compete in this league, you have to have an offense that puts up points.

12. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    Of the top 20 scoring teams in the country 7 of them are from the Big 12. ISU has held every team they played well under their average score. In fact they havnt gave up more than 35 points all year. That is saying something in this conference.

13. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Luckily, the NCAA still awards wins on the same basis.

14. docholihawk

docholihawk Member

Oct 9, 2012
    disabled
    clear lake
    Agree with what others have said here. The defensive numbers are somewhat skewed playing in a conference of high powered offenses and I do agree that scoring defense is the most telling stat. I went back and looked at some of the team stats as far as defense and some offensive standings just in case anybody wanted the info. SCORING DEFENSE-36th, PASSING DEFENSE-110th, DEFENSIVE PASSING EFFICIENCY-58th, RUN DEFENSE-70th, TOTAL DEFENSE-97th, RED ZONE DEFENSE-tie 41st, SACKS-106th, TFL-110th, TURNOVER MARGIN-tie 53rd, PASSING OFFENSE-81st, SCORING OFFENSE-84th, RUSHING OFFENSE-70th, TOTAL OFFENSE-89th. Red zone defense is a very important statistic IMO and the team is good there. I capitalized the category just to make it easier to read, it wasn't meant to point out anything in particular.

15. St810s

St810s Active Member

Dec 17, 2008
    West Des Moines
    Out of curiosity, where does Iowa State rank among Big 12 teams in scoring defense?

16. docholihawk

docholihawk Member

Oct 9, 2012
    disabled
    clear lake
    I'll look it up and post.

17. Ficklone02

Ficklone02 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    CPA
    City by the Bay
    Last count I took we were 4th behind KState, OU & OSU. That doesn't include this past weeks' play. I was a little surprised to see that OSU's defense statistically is every bit as good as OU's.

18. Ficklone02

Ficklone02 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    CPA
    City by the Bay
    This is the one thing that has surprised me about Wally....he had the reputation at South Florida for developing great speed pass rushers. To date, we haven't really seen any of that. Do some of the young guys have potential to develop into great pass rushers, anybody know?

19. cyingreen

cyingreen Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Farmer
    Jasper County
    To me, where our offense ranks is more distressing. In the Big XII, it's much more common to win by outscoring your opponents than out d-ing them. Which probably explains our conference W-L record over the years.

20. CyCloned

CyCloned Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Accountant
    Robins, Iowa
    The ISU defense was not great without 3 key starters, but it was decent. The loss of Knott was huge, he was the leader out there. George has done a pretty good job of filling in for the LB spot, but Knott was the guy that got everyone in the right place, and made the tackle when it looked like ISU was going to give up something big. The other factor is that this defense is really designed to make teams complete long drives, hoping that the D can get a take away or penalty or the other team drops a pass, so by design it is not going to be impressive.

The biggest thing that I have seen is the lack of depth on the defensive side of the ball. It is getting better, but there is still a pretty noticable drop in the talent when someone gets hurt, and opposing team sure go after the subs.