Naming rights?

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by BryceC, Apr 1, 2007.

1. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    I saw one of the Des Moines Register Bloggers wrote a piece about how Pollard has said he won't sell the naming rights to Hilton or Jack Trice. How would you guys feel about this? Considering the fact that we have the smallest budget in the Big 12 I don't really think it would be a bad idea to do this. That being said, if we did rename Jack Trice Stadium... I think we should name the field "Jack Trice Field", display it prominently, and build a HUGE statue of Jack Trice. He really deserves to have his memory carried on forever.

As far as Hilton, I didn't know who it was named after until I went to school at ISU since he's a former president. Did some great things to be sure, but it's not like he died on the field or anything.

What do you guys think?

http://blogs.dmregister.com/?cat=4

2. explorer

explorer Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    Assistant Fire Chief
    Marion, IA
    NEVER sell the naming rights to the Jack Trice or Hilton. I hate it when they do it in pro sports, and despise it when they do it in college. They should be named after a significant contributor to the university, either a sports legend or and administrator that was significant to the sports program. To sell the naming rights to a company is just plain selling out in my opinion.

3. sodakjoe

sodakjoe Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
    I think I would be upset if either of them were sold off. I am proud to say that we have one of the very few sports venues named after an African-American athlete, and I think that says a lot about the character of the people at this university. As for Hilton, I would be upset about that one because James Hilton is the one who had the idea to build the Iowa State Center, he instigated all the fund raising, etc. to get it done. He is also the ONLY Iowa State student to become University President. I think he deserves his name on the side of the building that he helped become reality.

4. goldmember

goldmember Well-Known Member

May 31, 2006
    Never sell the naming rights to Hilton....I will drop my season tickets if thats the cast.

5. MNclone

MNclone Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Production Engineer
    Burnsville, MN
    I would be very disapointed if I had to go to HyVee stadium to see the Cyclones play

6. HOTDON

HOTDON Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Fort Dodge, IA
    No sale. I also don't like the fact that all the new buildings on campus are named after the people that chose to donate money for the building, rather than instrumental figures in the history of ISU, same deal. Carver Hall and Marston Hall mean a whole lot more to me than Howe Hall and Hoover Hall ever will. Whatever happened to EARNING an honor rather than buying it?

For the record, I can't believe they are in the process of changing the name of Elwood Drive. Nothing is sacred anymore.

Next we'll all be cheering for the Burger King University Red Bulls!

7. 06_CY

06_CY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Sell the name of the court, like XYZ Court at Hilton Coliseum or XYZ Field at Jack Trice Stadium. I'm sure a few companies would bid on that.

8. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Management/Sales
    Hudson, Iowa
    I'd be against a name change. None of us remember Abraham Lincoln, but he's got a memorial named after him and they won't sell the naming rights on that one either.

What are they changing Elwood to?

9. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    They want to name is something like "University Avenue" to signify it's right by the school.

I think that if they are going to name it to make it signify that it's by the university I think they should name it Barry Stevens Way or something.

10. dornstar44

dornstar44 Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    They're changing Elwood to University Avenue. It's meant to be a gateway to the University and they're gonna build a lot of cool stuff along the road to sort of lead people to campus. I personally think it's a good idea.

11. ColoradoClone

ColoradoClone Active Member

Apr 6, 2006
    I agree that this is a much better option.

And there already is a big statue of Jack Trice outside the stadium.

12. madcityCY

madcityCY Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Architect
    Madison, WI
    as an Idealist, a couldn't agree more.

Some change their tune when they see the potential paycheck. Lots of money for a SIMPLE change. I wish it wasn't so, but you can't argue w/ economics.

13. pulse

pulse Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    NEVER! Who wants to play at Pioneer Hybrid Stadium or Monsanto Coliseum. Terrible idea.

14. coachdags

coachdags Speechless
    Bookie

Mar 30, 2006
    Business Owner
    N.Dakota
    This is the best current option now a days....

Example: In Denver, the fans became so outraged over the possible change of name / Mile High Stadium......

So it is now Called Invesco Field at Mile High Stadium

15. besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Product Engineer
    Mount Vernon, WA
    I believe he did say that they would consider selling the naming rights to the basketball pracitce facility though, didn't he? I wouldn't have a problem with that. But Jack Trice and James H. Hilton should always be the namesakes of our primary facilities. What future facility would you call the Pollard Building??? Maybe if they built a new athletics administration building after he's gone?

16. HOTDON

HOTDON Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Fort Dodge, IA
    I like what they're doing with the street. Letting people know that they are "on-campus" is a great idea to highten the ISU experience and make it more engrossing, but why do the have to change the name of the street from something that honors a distinguished dean to a generic name? Every city has a University Ave, but I don't know of any others that have an Elwood Drive.

17. rworkman83

rworkman83 Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Staff Member Bookie

Aug 9, 2006
    Male
    Sports Information Dir.
    Boone & Cedar Rapids
    If I remember correctly, it used to be called Jack Trice Field at Cyclone Stadium.

There is already a statue of Jack Trice outside the stadium at the NE gate.

18. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

I can't stand corporate naming rights to facilities any more than you can, but if a private donor decides to give a large amount of money to the university, I think that does make them an instrumental figure in the history of ISU, as long as it isn't for the sake of advertisment. I would personally find it repugnant to put my own name on a building because of a donation, but for whatever reason...vanity, I suppose, it works.

19. rworkman83

rworkman83 Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Staff Member Bookie

Aug 9, 2006
    Male
    Sports Information Dir.
    Boone & Cedar Rapids
    Here is the wikipedia site for JTS. It says a few things about the past names of the stadium.

20. HandSanitizer

HandSanitizer Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    NA
    Central US
    How about "Krusty Krab Stadium"
    I heard Eugene H. Krabs wants to donate a ton of money next year.

I can't stand corporate names, but I can sure see why they do it. Its like saying here is 50 million dollars. The only catch is I have to name my stadium something stupid.