my observations from row 4 ...

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by surly, Mar 2, 2014.

1. surly

surly Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    writing, trolling
    reservation lake, mn
    #1 surly, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    cyclones are over-the-top in both talent and attitude. only reason they lost the game was inability to control and focus their own emotions in what some here call our ameteurish dark gym.

what surprised me most was ejim. i thought this truly great college player, with the all-academic credentials, would be above that, but he wasn't. maybe the mayor's laid-back style contributes. i really don't know. we have shane southwell, you have several more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKpDhhGC5cg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

anyway, i was impressed with the 50 or so cyclone fans who ventured down during that wintery mess. i hope you made it home okay and were treated well on your stay.

i won't be surprised to see iowa state in the elite 8. surely, they'll be more focused than yesterday. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

I'm disappointed. That wasn't very surly.

3. 2020cy

2020cy Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    A lot of gnashing of teeth here over that loss. We just can't shoot free throws like that and expect to win. Nobody else has won there and we had a shot. It just going to be tough to play these last few games against teams desperate for wins.

4. mt85

mt85 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    I thought free throws and settling for threes cost them the game.

5. algonacy

algonacy Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Male
    Iowa
    And missing most of the threes didn't help.... (captain obvious here)

6. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009

If we missed our 3s, but made all our bunnies near the basket, we would have won easily.

7. stateofmind

stateofmind Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Male
    IT
    Ankeny
    Laying in bed in Wamego waiting for others to wake up. Hope the roads are clear.

Regarding the game, we were treated very poorly by many. But a few others were great. Like our hosts and their friends. I have to say I'm done coming down here. Two out of three times I have came we have been taunted and yelled at with no provocation except we were wearing ISU gear.

Really good food and people at So Long Saloon. Not too bad at Porter's.

I wish I had a better experience because I love going on the road. Our group consisted of guys from early 30s to late 50s. We don't taunt and we respect everybody. My impression was a low basketball IQ crowd.

Appreciate your comments Surly!

8. surly

surly Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    writing, trolling
    reservation lake, mn

sorry that was your experience. be safe.

9. Die4Cy

Die4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2010
    The last time I was in Manhattan they were total dicks. But they throw batteries at you and taunt children in Iowa City. I have had road trips to Lincoln and Lawrence as well and was treated very well at both.

10. coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
    If someone told me that we'd be tied with under a minute and a half at Kstate with Niang, Thomas and Long having off nights, I'd have said we were doing something right during the previous 38 minutes.

We made 2 out of every 3 free throws that we took. Not great, but not abysmal either. If Spradling misses that three near the end, people could be talking about the gutsy win despite the things I mentioned earlier. We knew it was going to be a hard game to win. I thought we would, but I'm not surprised at the outcome.

I wanted to post here because it was the first thread I came across the wasn't bashing an individual player for a change. Sad that it was started by a KSU fan. Smh

11. cyatheart

cyatheart Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Game was list when hogue missed 3 fts in a row and front end of one on one.

12. mt85

mt85 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    #12 mt85, Mar 2, 2014
    Surly, since you posted the video, I assume you are the Jeff Orr of KSU that was heckling a player into a reaction and then acting like a total idiot about catching it on video.

13. Stewo

Stewo Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Male
    Commodity buyer
    Iowa
    Taunting a player during shoot around is bush league. You got what you deserve as far as I'm concerned.

14. Cpech56

Cpech56 Active Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Do you scream, "I got it on my face" every night too?

15. IsUaClone2

IsUaClone2 Well-Known Member

May 12, 2006
    Retired
    In front of the computer
    I agree but with a capitalized Captain and Obvious.

16. bostrem00

bostrem00 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    ISU Post-grad Warrior
    Johnston
    I just thought they scored less points than the opposition, I was way off!

17. I've never seen so many butthurt 40 year olds about my existence than I did last night in Bramlage. I guess outsiders are weird for a bunch of Western Kansas natives.

18. ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Professional Pongid Pundit
    traipsing thru the treetops
    #18 ImJustKCClone, Mar 2, 2014
    Yeah, it was pretty clear that Kane was reacting to a comment from behind since he turned around to the seats to do it. You pretty much blew your cred by posting that video as far as I'm concerned...suppose you tell us what he was reacting TO, and maybe I'll change my mind. Maybe. Edit: I had my sound off. No chance my opinion changes after watching it with the sound on. Class act, that group.

We were treated decently when we went down to K-State for two different football games (2000 & 2013), before AND after the game. Then again, our team was pretty much demolished by K-State...both times. Don't think we'll ever roadtrip to Manhattan for a football game again; we're clearly bad juju for the Cyclones down there.

Niang had a pretty off night, and our bench (all both of them), which usually accounts for some points, didn't manage to score much, if any. Not sure why Ejim has been so chippy the last couple of games, but he needs to get it under control. We can't afford those pointless T's. Considering the fact that only two of our players were hitting shots and he was one of them...we couldn't afford having him sitting out big chunks of time.

Never thought this game was a gimme...in fact, after the first 10 minutes I was bracing for a blow-out. Cyclones got beat. We have 22 wins, six losses. REgardless of the outcome of the last two games we play we will have a winning conference record in the toughest, deepest conference in the country (okay, I'm a little bit biased) and we are a lock for the dance. I'm okay. I would rather have come away with a win, but I'm nowhere near meltdown mode.

19. CyArob

CyArob Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Nuclear Fusion
    MN
    "I got it on film! I got it on film!" - whoever that guy is sounds like he's missing a couple chromosomes.

20. CYme

CYme Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Engineer
    Pella, IA
    Not really a FIFY, just another way of saying it.