Moving to Chicago

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by tejasclone, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009

There must have been some other factor if you property taxes went up 40%. Do you live near the Obama's or something?

2. canker2323

canker2323 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Deep Thinking
    Tijuana
    Friend of mine had a similar increase in Glen Ellyn. My neighbors increased by similar %. Same with my cousin half mile south of me.

3. boone7247

boone7247 Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Male
    CPA
    Near the City
    There is an other factor. The state of Illinois, County of Cook and City of Chicago are all broke as a joke. Not to mention some of the surrounding suburbs are also not flush with money.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. SCNCY

SCNCY Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    La Fox, IL
    I went to St. Charles schools, so I grew up in that area. You can't really go wrong with St. Charles, Geneva, or Batavia. Even South Elgin is a good place to live (some of those neighborhoods are in the St. Charles School District). If you want to go a little further out, you can live in Elburn, which has a Metra station. La Fox (where I lived), also has a Metra station.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009

This is what you do when you want a decent sized house, nice yard, good schools, and reasonable taxes. Prepare for one long commute. My wife used to say it was like I was going on a business trip every day. If something happened at home, I was several hours away depending upon the infrequent mid-day train schedule, especially for destinations that were farther out.

That is one more thing to consider. Not all the trains always go all the way to the farthest terminal. Make sure to look at the actual train schedules, not just the routes, especially if you may need to commute at off-hours (mid-day, evenings, weekends).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    Chicago is a cesspool. I am sorry to hear of your predicament.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. JP4CY

JP4CY Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Sommerset
    Correct. Teacher's retirement accounts are a massive issue.
    Well, and the fact that it's a notoriously crooked city and State.

8. boone7247

boone7247 Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Male
    CPA
    Near the City
    The problems are a plenty, and we don't have time to list them all, but yes you hit two of the biggest ones. Ultimately we are spiraling toward bankruptcy, both at the state and city levels.

9. awd4cy

awd4cy Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    I was in Austin in December. Holy crap you aren't kidding. It was terrible at 5 in the evening. Everything was really crammed. That would wear me out.

10. chiclones24

chiclones24 New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Male
    Realtor
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Everyone!

I am not new to this site, but don't post often, and as a result had to get a new username. I am a realtor with @Properties in Chicago. If anyone has any questions about moving here, would like to buy/sell/rent or wants to know anything else, shoot me an email at jhosch@atproperties.com or call me at 773.573.6712. Would love to help out some Iowa State fans (as well as others)!!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Male
    Washington, DC
  12. KnappShack

KnappShack Well-Known Member

May 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    I graduated from ISU and started work in Northbrook the following week. Stayed with relatives in Geneva and made that commute.

A bit of a shock going from eating Doritos on the couch at 2:00 am to getting up at 5:00am to drive an hour and a half each way.

I currently live in Orange County. Chicago traffic was much worse. Throw in some weather and it's ungodly

13. NWICY

NWICY Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    But if he is really brave he could be on the cutting edge of gentrification of one of those neighborhoods.

14. Bryce7

Bryce7 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2016
    Male
    Consultant
    Chicago is one of the most bankrupt places in America. The govt workers have been promised a strong pension package.

15. BikeSkiClone

BikeSkiClone Active Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Chicago people, what's the area around Loyola U like for a renter (summer internship)? Specifically the few blocks directly North of campus and near the Loyola red line stop.

Safety, things to do, parking...whatever you got.

16. cyclonedave25

cyclonedave25 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    The area immediately around Loyola isn't bad. North of there a couple few blocks isn't bad either. Don't bring a car if you don't need it, street parking is horrible in that area. Unless you have a reserved spot, don't bring it. That Loyola redline stop is safe too. The area just south of Loyola is fine too.

17. BikeSkiClone

BikeSkiClone Active Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks @cyclonedave25! The internship is based out of downtown (80% of my time) with some satellite work around the city, so I'll have my vehicle for those days. Found a decently priced sublease on craigslist in that area and figured CF could come through with info.

Mainly looking at places around the red, purple and brown lines between downtown & Northwestern. Might branch out to look at the Blue line but that's a little less convenient for getting to base location near Magnificent Mile/Streeterville area

18. cybychoice

cybychoice Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Ankeny
    I lived just off the Loyola campus, it was the Edgewater neighborhood(North Lakewood Ave/West Devon), very nice and relatively safe compared to other parts of the city. The red line to downtown from the Loyola stop will take you about 30 minutes in the morning and 40 minutes in the afternoon. It can be a bear if the cubs are playing as the red runs past wrigley. If you are a sushi person there is a place called Nori right by the campus and its BYOB. It was great. There are a couple beaches on the lake just north of the Loyola campus that are great to spend a weekend day at, not to crowded and the people are general college aged. Lived in chicago right after I graduated from ISU, its a fun city to be young in that is for sure!