MLB: Morneau has been out for 5 weeks now.

Discussion in 'Pro Sports' started by RhoadsRage, Aug 13, 2010.

1. RhoadsRage

RhoadsRage I AM SO PROUD....
    Bookie

Jan 25, 2010
    student
    McGregor
    I don't get it......football players are usually out 2-3 weeks with a concusion and that is a WAY more physical sport. Is there something I'm missing here or what??? :confused:

2. hawkeyeh8r

hawkeyeh8r Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Ames
    ya he continues to get severe symptoms when exposed to lighting, or he was at least. it seems to be running that is affecting the most right now. we also need morneau to be healthy when he plays and we dont want to risk him so we are taking it slow.

Morneau, Twins playing it safe | twinsbaseball.com: News

i usually check the twins website for updates

3. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Morneau has a history of concussions from his younger days as a hockey player. The cumulative effect is why the current situation is so serious and lingering so long.

4. jsb

jsb Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2008
    It's his history of concussions and the fact that he hasn't had a single day yet where he hasn't had any symptoms. Not good at all. Pretty hard to expect someone to face pitchers throwing baseballs at 90 mph at you when you have a headache.

I just hope he comes back.

5. RING4CY

RING4CY Well-Known Member
    Bookie

Mar 20, 2010
    Photographer
    Ames, IA
    I'm not worried about Morneau. Twins are winning without him. They obviously still need him in the lineup, but as long as the Twins continue to win, it allows them to really take their time with Morneau. Make sure he is 100%.

6. hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
    Ames
    he will be back..at least he's not playing football where concussions are pretty common thing. previous history doesnt usually affect players in baseball in terms of forcing an early retirement, it usually just leads to extreme cases like morneau's where they are out for several weeks. as long as the twins continue to win, he can take as much time as he needs.

7. Iastfan112

Iastfan112 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Corey Koskie says "Hi" from his career ending concussion. My thoughts are we don't see him till mid September.

8. superman_101680

Oct 30, 2006
    Male
    Indiana
    Morneau's situation is eerily simily to Koskie and Kirby's. I hope I'm wrong!

9. hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
    Ames
    how is a concussion similar to kirby's case of glaucoma which caused him to retire?

10. RhoadsRage

Bookie

Jan 25, 2010
    student
    McGregor

I hope we see him in the lineup before that but they are still winning without him.

11. Iastfan112

Iastfan112 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Its already mid August and now they don't have a timetable for starting a rehab. My figuring is a couple more weeks till they do a rehab assignment and I'm guessing they'll probably take it slow down there as well.

12. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I want to see Morneau back asap, but the Twins will have a tough roster decision if he comes back before the roster expansion in September. When Punto comes back on the roster in the next few days, the easy move is to go back to 2 catchers and send Morales back to AAA.

Adding Morneau back is tougher. The way that Gardy uses the staff, it's almost a must to go with a 12 pitchers. That leaves 8 starting position players and a 5 man bench. With Cuddyer back in RF, the givens are Butera, Thome, Kubel, and Punto as bench/DH. If you choose to, you can insert Punto back at 3B and give one of the bench slots to Valencia. What it comes down to is 1 spot for either Casilla or Repko. Both have earned the spot and both are out of options. The Twins need both of them for the stretch run and can't afford to lose either one to a claim by another team if they try to send them down. The best solution is to make a short term move to send down a pitcher who won't be needed on the playoff roster - ie Perkins. This would work if the transaction is either after or immediately before the roster expansion. It would be too much of a handicap to try to go with 11 pitchers for more than a few days at the end of August.

13. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Keep in mind that in the next couple of weeks rosters are going to expand, which means it shouldn't be a problem. I don't know when the exact date is, though.

14. MNclone

MNclone Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Production Engineer
    Burnsville, MN
    This has nothing to do with Morneau, but Duensing just pitched a gem tonight. Only gave up 3 hits and no runs in a complete game.
    If he can keep pitching like he has been, it will help the rotation a ton down the stretch!

15. RhoadsRage

Bookie

Jan 25, 2010
    student
    McGregor
    I agree 100%.....great game tonight!!!

16. FDWxMan

FDWxMan Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Des Moines
    Sept. 1st

17. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I agree that Morneau coming back either in Sept or late Aug should not be a problem. The point that I was making is that if he were ready to come back now in mid-August then the Twins would have a roster problem to deal with. It's probably a non-issue as He doesn't appear to be ready to play for at least a couple of weeks. If he were still on the DL when rosters expand, he could still be added to the post season roster at a later date.

18. superman_101680

Oct 30, 2006
    Male
    Indiana
    Didn't they think Kirby would be 'fine' once the facial swelling and broking bones healed? It seemed out of no where that the glaucoma and eventual blindness hit.