Monday Musings: Week one camp observations

Discussion in 'Football' started by ChrisMWilliams, Aug 12, 2013.

1. cycloneted

cycloneted Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Des Moines
    No CW article is complete without a mention of NASCAR, a country music singer or Jarvis West. CHECK!!

2. CykoAGR

CykoAGR Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Waukee, IA
    He was mentioned, check the part about next yrs WR

3. CyBobby

CyBobby Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Central Iowa
    Thanks Chris for your reports, they're much appreciated...

4. CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
    Waukee, IA
    I don’t know if it’s just me or the fact that we are being fed a big glass of kool-aid by the media (not really CW but the DM Reg crew) but I feel more at ease about this defense than I did a few weeks ago.

If Burnham is talking positively about Jensen and how he compared to JMac that’s good. Coe seems to have loads of potential (unrealized I know but having potential upside is better than knowing he can play his best and still just be average or worse).
    If Irving is beaten out by Morrissey then CM has stepped up his game to supplant a starter from last year. I hope Scott’s legal issues don’t keep him out or its only for a few games if he is out. This unit could end up being just as good or better than last year if all of the pieces come together. I mean imagine if Irving and Coe both click like CW mentions, ISU could have a pass rush (like a real one) for the first time in a long time.

Couple all of this with the positive talk about the OL and the offense in general and it just seems that the floor of this team seems to be rising.

I don’t expect them to contend for the league but I still think 6 wins is very reasonable and 7 or even 8 is not completely out of the question.

5. cycloneted

cycloneted Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Des Moines
    Right, that's why I said CHECK!!

6. ribsnwhiskey

ribsnwhiskey Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Ames
    Surprised to hear about Campos, I thought he was too soft to ever amount to anything.

7. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    I'll be honest. I thought it would be awhile before we heard much about him but I've now heard a few different things that make me think he will compete for a starting job next year. I thought it would take longer for his weight to get where it needed to be mainly.

8. WhatchaGonnaDo

WhatchaGonnaDo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    These articles are making me more anxious. 19 days, folks.

9. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Some real nuggets this time, CW!

I'm not going to catch them all, but...
    Score one, right here...is Daley even eighteen yet?
    Been wondering that myself. A lot revolves around that left guard slot, and is Brock ready for pass protection? I guess he can show us this season. :biggrin:

For some reason (perhaps because I'm a Vikings fan), I keep seeing a young Matt Kalil--and he played for USC at 6'7" 285.

I've been thinking that one for a while, too. That would make for a lot of exclamation points! :yes:

10. ribsnwhiskey

ribsnwhiskey Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Ames
    I hope my sarcasm was sensed. Hawk fans were calling him soft after he committed here. The picture of him in one of the photo albums was impressive. He looks massive already.

11. TyClone

TyClone Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Farmer
    Clarion, IA
    Good stuff CW. I thoroughly enjoy reading Monday Musings; however I wish the link would be user-friendly for mobile phones. It's kinda hard to read from the full site.

12. CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
    Waukee, IA
    My bad I read your post wrong.

13. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    Yeah, it was and I was going to note that I knew you were joking but forgot. Usually you just don't hear much about freshmen Olinemen when we actually have other bodies there. I mean, Burton is pushing for a spot and we didn't hear anything about him.