Monday Musings: Assessing Iowa State's 8-0 start

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by ChrisMWilliams, Dec 16, 2013.

1. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    This is awesome.
    We're definitely not as good as we could possibly be yet.

2. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Accountant
    Altoona
    I liked it better when it was accessing

3. cycloneG

cycloneG Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Male
    Software Developer
    Off the grid
    Who doesn't want more *** in their life?

4. NATEizKING

NATEizKING Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Hilton
    Kane 2.42 A/TO
    Morris 4.14 A/TO

5. Bubba Hubba

Bubba Hubba Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Ignoring the access vs. assess debate, here are a couple of thoughts after watching the tape last night...

Long's release on this 3 point shot is super quick. I hadn't realized just how quickly he shoots. Impressive.

Ejim doesn't look as explosive as last year. I wonder if it's the knee. There was the missed dunk and also a couple of lay-ins that he often dunks. His offense is more polished, though.

Hogue is a beast, but we all knew that before this game.

6. CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Male
    Urbandale
  7. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

37% is not bad from 3, though obviously not as good as we think he can be. Just saw that Melvin is ranked 8th in the Big 12 at 38.5%, so being 1.5% from being top ten or so in the conference isn't terrible.

8. MNCyGuy

MNCyGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Des Moines
    Would be a nice Christmas present if he got hot in Hawaii and went into conference play with a healthy dose of confidence. It should be scary to the rest of the Big 12 that we still have that potential weapon waiting to be unleashed.

9. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    No, it isn't bad. But he can do better. I think it is pretty obvious to anyone watching that he is a little bit gun-shy right now. He'll get better.

10. MNCyGuy

MNCyGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Des Moines
    Maybe we can get up big on N. Illinois and just dedicate the 2nd half to setting up shots for Thomas and forcing him to shoot.

11. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Agreed. He passes up a lot of decent looks and pretty much only shoots it when he's wide open. I think shooters are best served by "getting into a rhythm" which usually means making a couple of tough shots. Then they get greedy, which means more shots and more makes.

12. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    I really believe in what I wrote in regards to comparing him to Christopherson. I had a former great (big time shooter) give me that example after the game on Friday night. Makes a lot of sense if you think about it.

13. DBQR4CY

DBQR4CY Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Male
    Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
    Thomas may be off to a slow start, but he is a true freshman and I know CW stated that. ISU has also played 2 Top 25 teams in their first 8 games of the season and went to BYU. That's not the kind of games ISU has played in the past nor has most of college basketball for that matter. He isn't comfortable yet because he has played against some major competition, not vs directional state slate. He will get comfortable out there and will grow into the position. He has good size and has shown not to be a liability on the floor. Can't wait for him to hit his stride!

14. ISUCY23

ISUCY23 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Ames
    Is it just me, or does ball movement need to improve at times? It isn't that they are lost but sometimes the ball seems to stay in one spot too long.

Last year's team excelled at ball movement, especially later in the year.

15. Bader

Bader Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ankeny
    Against the lesser competition to begin the year Matt seemed much more willing to put the ball on the deck and try to drive towards the hoop. Hopefully he picks that tendency back up because it will allow him to get into the flow of the offense while he works through his shot from long range

16. CloneZone13

CloneZone13 Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Exactly!

17. isufan

isufan Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    SW Iowa
    Agree a little with the ball movement comment. Last year at times, our only offense was open shots from great ball movement, while this year, our best offense has been off the bounce going to the hoop.

18. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
    It's gonna be SCARY when everything clicks for this team in a few more games. IMO, we've played like garbage the last two games and won :yes:

19. capitalcityguy

capitalcityguy Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Male
    Des Moines
    Great article!

Definately love our toughness and our grit. That is what counts at tourney time. Plenty a talented rich team have failed to produce post-season because in the end, they were too soft. I don't see that with this bunch which gives me a lot of hope.