*** MLB Off-season ***

Discussion in 'Pro Sports' started by DistrictCyclone, Nov 1, 2012.

1. I've been mostly off the grid for the past week, but here's what I know so far...

--Leyland's coming back to manage Detroit
    --Indians are picking up Jiminez' option
    --Royals got Ervin Santana
    --Delmon Young and Jose Valverde will NOT be pursued by the Tigers
    --Rays picked up James Shields' option
    --Francona will manage the Indians
    --John Ferrell will manage the Red Sox
    --Blue Jays are still searching for a manager

What am I missing?

2. CLONECONES

CLONECONES Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Real Estate
    RVA
    the 'stros leaving the NL central so my cubbies will now be the basement :(

3. pyrocyz

pyrocyz Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Ames
  4. cyfanatic

cyfanatic Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    White Sox signed Peavy to a 2-year deal with an option for a 3rd. Also picked up Floyd's option so their starting rotation is petty much set depending upon Dank's health. White Sox did not pick up the options on Brett Myers or Kevin Youkilis' contracts...

5. cybsball20

cybsball20 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Financial Analyst
    Des Moines, IA
    VERY WEAK Free Agent class so I anticipate a ton of trades. Like the Santana move for KC, I think he will be ok in the central. They have so many guys at AAA and coming off the DL that SOMEONE should be able to step in and do well. Really looking forward to Wil Myers in KC too.

6. Pretty sad to see that the Twins would only pick up Joe Blanton and Scott Baker. I don't think they'll take on Baker, and I'd rather see them go after Haren than Blanton.

7. What's Hochevar's situation with KC this off-season?

8. erikbj

erikbj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2006
    compliance officer
    hiawatha, ia
    Like to see the Cards bring Dan Haren back..........you can never have enough pitching, i know they are counting on the young kids to come up - but Carp is getting older and Garcia is a wildcard.

9. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    Wish the Twins would make a splash.

10. gocubs2118

gocubs2118 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Student
    Illinois
    Marlins just hired Mike Redmond to be their manager.

11. cybsball20

cybsball20 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Financial Analyst
    Des Moines, IA
    Pretty sure this is his last arbitration year, maybe two more

12. Cy$

Cy$ Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Being an a-hole
    Ames
  13. Wow...he sure rose up quickly. I remember all of the Twins writers saying that he had managerial potential, so I was pretty bummed when the Twins couldn't find a coaching job for him in their farm system somewhere.

Good for Redmond; I love that guy.

14. GMackey32

GMackey32 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Food Microbiologist
    Ames Via Cedar Falls

Hopefully they move his *** to the bullpen.

15. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    It may be best to not even offer him arbitration. They have team control for one more year, but they can still non-tender him. He's going to cost $5 million or so in arbitration. Wayyyyy too much for a reliever who sucks out of the stretch.

If I had any confidence in Dayton more to spend $5 million wisely, I'd be totally on board with nontendering Hochevar.

I like the Santana move. It's a nice hedge, because it gives them flexibility next offseason and also gives them a solid arm in case they aren't able to sign a #3-type SP.

16. GMackey32

GMackey32 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Food Microbiologist
    Ames Via Cedar Falls

I really like the Santana move. Gave up a player that's Rule 5 eligible that isn't in the Royals future plans and they get a starting pitcher that can help bridge the gap until the younger guys are ready and they get Duffy back from TJS.

Everything you said about Hochevar is correct. I just hope I don't have to see him the rotation for the Royals next year.

17. ISpyCy

ISpyCy Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Male
    Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
    Right now, I see him coming back...but I'm sure a large majority of Royal fans will agree that he has worn out his welcome in KC. Not worth the #1 pick we got him for.

I will say I'm excited to see Jake Odorizzi pitch. Outside of one horrible inning, his first MLB start was pretty solid.

18. Buster28

Buster28 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2011
    University Archives
    Ames
    Giants bought out Aubrey Huff for 2 mil instead of picking up the option for another season. Pagan, Scutaro, and Affeldt are also free agents. Pagan and Scutaro have both said they want to come back next year and I think the Giants will try to find a way to make it happen. About $54 million comes off the books this year, leaving some wiggle room to deal. Affeldt might become too pricey after the good post-season he had. Melky Cabrera is also a free agent, but he won't be back. When he left the clubhouse without a word when news of the positive test surfaced, then tried to fabricate a website to lie his way out of the situation, he blew his chances of coming back at all.