Melvin has ridiculous hops

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by CurvedAir, Feb 23, 2013.

1. CurvedAir

CurvedAir Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Kansas City
    His head was at rim-level on his dunk after the inbound steal. He dunks with as much ferocity as anyone in college basketball. We've had some high-flyers, but he has to be in the discussion. I really enjoy watching that guy play. MVP if I had a vote.

2. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

MVP for all the little things he does. Just tireless and always in the right place.

3. CyFan61

CyFan61 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2010
    It's become really clear that he is the MVP of this team. So exciting that he gets another year after this one, too.

4. tccoach

tccoach Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Counselor
    Iowa
    He is a great all around player, I thought he handled the foul calls and physical play amazingly well today. His play reminds of me of one of my Cyclone favorites Jeff Grayer... has a knack for being in the right place and finishing plays.

5. azepp

azepp Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Ankeny
    The thing that's the most exciting about Melvin is his progression each year. He will have a chance to have a very special season next year.

6. Cyhart

Cyhart Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Des Moines
    Exactly! I mentioned this in the post game thread too, but getting him and Niang back is HUGE! I can only imagine that those two will have special seasons next year. Niang will be the best soph in the conference. Just hoping Morris, Thomas, Hogue, and one of the juco bigs can pick up the rest of the slack!

7. JP4CY

JP4CY Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Sommerset
    Nothing against him, because I think he was a great Cyclone, but Melvin is a really good Rashon Clark.

8. heitclone

heitclone Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Male
    Recreation Therapist
    Malvern, IA
    Today was a game that exemplifies what is so great about Melvin. Not knocking him but he didn't have his best game today, he sat with some foul trouble, missed a couple jumpers, other than the dunk not a whole lot stood out. But at the end of the day he had another double/double. He just has a way of making an impact, he's always that steady influence. It might seem like a quiet day but then you look and he has 13 rebounds. You also just have to love that he is constantly improving his game, he and Georges are going to be a great 1-2 punch next year. He'll be a great guy for the youngters we have coming in next year to watch and learn from.

9. iacyguy

iacyguy Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    The Dirty Dodge
    I really think if we finish this year well and play great next year, Ejim will find his name up in the Hilton rafters

10. cyclone87

cyclone87 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Grad Assistant
    Ames, IA
    I think his athleticism/vertical is underestimated quite a bit, it combined with his physicality are what make him such a great rebounder imo.

11. cyclone87

cyclone87 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Grad Assistant
    Ames, IA
    It is possible, would definitely be deserving as by all accounts he is a great student athlete both in the class room and on the court.

12. Rabbuk

Rabbuk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    I think Ejim might be one of the greats, though my memory is limited to 90's and 00's.

13. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica

I've heard from a bunch of professors who have had Melvin as a student. None of them has ever been anything less than glowing. He's usually known as the best student in his class.
    It's not unusual, even for the profs who really like basketball, to hear them wish he didn't have the ability he has for basketball, because they think he would be a fantastic grad student and professor someday.

14. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    We are blessed with a good academic team.

15. ISU42

ISU42 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    I really thought he would take a step back this year with Royce leaving, but he has really stepped it up this year. I'm glad we'll have his leadership with a young team next year.

16. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Management/Sales
    Hudson, Iowa
    He is a great role model for this team. Good student, great player and as far as I know he stays out of trouble. Those are the type of players you build around and who are great ambassadors for ISU!

17. ripvdub

ripvdub Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Sk-Ankeny
    Didn't he make some special academic list? Some sort of honors. He's not rhashon athletically, but he is doing what he did his junior/senior years, but much better. Rhashon could probably out jump him by half a foot, but both very valuable players, the glue to their respected teams.

18. WalkingCY

WalkingCY Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Kansas City
    Yeah Ejim! Way to destroy tech guys!

19. istater7

istater7 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I think they are different types of players though

20. jsb

jsb Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2008
    He made some academic fraternity which was a huge deal. He was also a District Academic All-American.

However, Mike Green (I think he's the SID for basketball) tweeted earlier this week that he had to tell Melvin he didn't make Acadmic All-American. That's too bad because I highly doubt there are that many more players with that type of GPA who is also a a really, really good basketball player.

It's easy to overlook Melvin, but he'll be a guy in a couple of years who we will REALLY miss watching. He's awfully good and if he was wearing a Kanas uniform, he'd be first team all Big 12.