Mckenzie's pick

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by 9seven, Sep 1, 2006.

1. 9seven

9seven Member

Apr 15, 2006
    College student
    Indianola/Boone
    Right before halftime amy friends and I all went crazy when Mckenzie picked that pass off and then broke like 5 tackles. He looked really tough on that play. I also liked Bowen flying to the ball, but his pass coverage looked a little shaky.

2. MaxPower57

MaxPower57 Active Member

Mar 30, 2006
    I think there is no doubt that McKenzie and Bowen are immensely talented. A lot of their problems last night came from being out of position, which comes from inexperience. Carper played a little shaky, but he is still learning and he will be fine. Jackson played solid, Singleton played Ok and was exposed a couple times but he certainly looks the part. Berg mixed it up pretty well in run defense, but made some mistakes, as did Banks. Parker had some good plays, but was easily sucked in allowing for those QB bootlegs, he will be a special player though. Nate Frere looked like a young Nick Leaders, Rubin is definitely a space eater, and Curvey and Moorehead will be solid. The defense will make great strides this year.

3. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Singlerton had the play of the game against Nichols or otherwise we would still be there. He tipped the ball enough so it was dropped.

Keg of the Game goes to Singleton.

4. markshir

markshir Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Remember that Dobbins was pulled in some games his first year here (junior year) because he was having some problems picking up his assignments and out of position. It takes awhile to get acclimated to Big 12 football and assignments, and there's no reason those two would be any different.

5. price26

price26 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2006
    CyRide Driver
    Ames, IA
    Bowen actually leads the nation right now in solo tackles with 14 and in total tackles (solo plus assists) with 17.

6. ripvdub

ripvdub Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Sk-Ankeny
    i thought he haed 14 solo and 6 asst tackles?!? thats what the box score said on cyclones.com

7. price26

price26 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2006
    CyRide Driver
    Ames, IA
    Assists only count as 1/2 tackles.

8. pulse

pulse Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Lets not compare Frere to Leaders in any way. Our DL didn't get any pressure on the QB on passing plays, he had all day. We did a decent job on stopping the run though. McKenzie's interception was a fantastic athletic play, and then he bowled over a bunch of guys on the return (McKenzie used to be a RB and it shows!)

The problem was Toledo kept throwing underneath all night long because our LBs were so far back. Plus their QB was really good. He was throwing perfect passes the entire game (because he had all the time in the world).

9. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    I agree. He had a rough night.

I think Rubin looked better out there. I would not be surprised to see him start on Saturday.