McFarland and the RB's

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by Whitey, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Whitey

Whitey Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Ames, IA
    Isn't it fantastic to see an OC trying out more than one player at a position when the status quo isn't working? It makes me wonder how many yard Koch could have gained last year, if we hadn't continued to put Hicks in when he couldn't average better than the 4 yards a carry.

I love to see good, game-time coaching. It makes me optimistic.

2. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Nebraska had 4 running backs last year and it worked out well. We could use a fourth like a Kockster type also.

I would like to see Bass and Robinson get in the same backfield with some trickery involved.

3. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    NE Oklahoma
    Like field goal kicking? :wink:

Chizik and Co. have said that all 3 backs will get carries this year and they definitely have. We have had 3 different guys rush for 100 yards this year. That's a good problem to have.

4. KMAC_ATTACK

KMAC_ATTACK Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Waterloo
    exactly, if this is a strength of our team as far as talent goes, please be aggressive with it and make opposing defenses have to defend our talented players.

i love this idea even more knowing that both have take it to the house type speed....something stevie never had....great heart, just didnt have the 4.4 speed we need to compete in the big 12.

Great post Bryce!!!!

5. I checked the totals to see Bass only had 20 yards. man, i swear that he had more....perhaps he had 1 good sized run and a slug of short gains, that skewed my perception.

One thing i do like is that ISU doesnt seem to abandon the run at all this year. They just keep hammering it out.

6. allyclone

allyclone Member

Aug 16, 2007

Makes me wonder why the QB position isn't subject to the same kind of scrutiny.

7. tejasclone

tejasclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Technical Writer
    Austin, TX
    Which is why we have such a big advantage in time of possession this year. I have to think that eventually this running game will make us dangerous in the red zone. Right now for whatever reason we fall on our face when we get inside the 20... and that can probably be attributed to the fact that our running game is still pretty inconsistent. When we can reliably hammer away at a defense I think that will help out our red zone offense. Plus, since we finally have some backs with breakaway speed, maybe we can get the threat of a big play back every once and a while.

8. TedKumsher

TedKumsher Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Male
    Network Consultant
    Ames
    QB is a LOT bigger change compared to tailback.

9. Cyphor

Cyphor Member

Aug 9, 2006
    It makes me feel real good about the offensive line. All these guys are coming back next year and they seem to play very well together. I listened to an interview w/ Dedrick and was very impressed. The guy is well spoken, knows football, and is a great competitor. I can't wait to see what he and the rest of the lads can do next season.

10. MilehighClone

MilehighClone Active Member

Sep 14, 2007
    ISU #5 in the nation in time of position at just over 32 min a game.

11. Cystate22

Cystate22 Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Third Party Asset Manager
    Reinbeck, Iowa
    We haven't been playing any other QB's, because the other guys have been hurt. Austen is getting close to being able to play.

12. allyclone

allyclone Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Do you know that Arnaud is still hurt for a fact?

13. bawbie

bawbie Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Yes, he's been hurt for over a month. GC said at one point that Meyer is starting because Arnaud is hurt and Bates doesn't know enough of the playbook.

14. Cymon

Cymon Active Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Ankeny
    The running game is a huge relief for me after the "4.9 forty speed" of Stevie Hicks. He should have been made a linebacker.

15. ajk4st8

ajk4st8 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Ankeny
    Talked with Arnaud's mom... his foot is still pretty sore.

16. allyclone

allyclone Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Here is to hoping he gets back soon. The offense needs a jumpstart.