MBB - Most Improved Cyclone this Year

Most Improved Cyclone this Year (single choice)

• Nick Weiler-Babb - needs work on his shot, but valuable as additional ball handler/post defender.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Darrell Bowie - less minutes have help him become more of a spark coming off the bench/rebounding.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Reading a comment about the Big12 most improved player this year got me to thinking: Who would be the most improved player for our team this year? I think you could make an argument for multiple players, so I have attached a poll and tried to list why each could be considered for the award. Just for fun, I also added Steve Prohm into the mix.

Who do you think should be the winner, and why?

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Have to go with Burton. He's really taken on a huge role compared to last year and has become a player I wasn't sure that he could.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I picked Donovan Jackson. Beginning of the year, I thought: "why did we get this guy again?" Now he has proven as the year went on that he is a great shooter from behind the arc and clutch (hitting such a big 3 at the Phog is not easy). Him and Solomon give me some hope for next year when coupled with the new guys coming in.

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
I said Burton simply because of the developments he's made recently. At the begenning and middle of the season, when he wasn't making shots he was lazy on D and a black hole on offense...he'd still put up a shot every damn time he had the ball. However, recently when his shots aren't falling, he's still tenacious on D and has been passing the ball very, very effectively.

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
I picked Donovan Jackson. Beginning of the year, I thought: "why did we get this guy again?" Now he has proven as the year went on that he is a great shooter from behind the arc and clutch (hitting such a big 3 at the Phog is not easy). Him and Solomon give me some hope for next year when coupled with the new guys coming in.
D Jack has ice in his veins. He'll be Mr. Big Shot next year when Naz and Monte are gone.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
For me it depends on whether we're saying throughout this season or since last year.

For this season it's Solomon. It's no coincidence that we're a much better team since he became a factor.

Since last year, it's probably Monte for me, at least from a scoring stand point. He has so many more ways to hurt the other team offensively than he used to. A close 2nd to Buford if for no other reason than his improved passing and facilitating. He's much better on d and rebounding as well.

Reactions: Goofyguy1

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
For me it depends on whether we're saying throughout this season or since last year.

For this season it's Solomon. It's no coincidence that we're a much better team since he became a factor.

Since last year, it's probably Monte for me, at least from a scoring stand point. He has so many more ways to hurt the other team offensively than he used to. A close 2nd to Buford if for no other reason than his improved passing and facilitating. He's much better on d and rebounding as well.
I think I was considering last year to this year for players who were here last year. For new players, I was thinking beginning of the year to right now.

Reactions: ca4cy

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I know I'm in the minority here, but I took Monte. Sounds funny that I would take a first teamer, but his improvement is him taking the big clutch shot, and hitting them. When we need a big one, now I'm yelling- "Take over Monte!". He's now in Georges' roll in that area and he has delivered. Drives, floaters, mid-range baseline, long threes, you name it.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Burton because lately when he's not on his offensive game he doesn't continue to force shots like he used to and still contributes by setting up guys and doing defensive work.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
D Jack has ice in his veins. He'll be Mr. Big Shot next year when Naz and Monte are gone.

I hope you're right. I worry he will have to try to do too much to replace Monte. His effectiveness is possibly higher due to playing along side of Monte and Naz. Then again, he'll have more minutes to shine. Will be interesting to say the least.

Reactions: isu2014

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I know I'm in the minority here, but I took Monte. Sounds funny that I would take a first teamer, but his improvement is him taking the big clutch shot, and hitting them. When we need a big one, now I'm yelling- "Take over Monte!". He's now in Georges' roll in that area and he has delivered. Drives, floaters, mid-range baseline, long threes, you name it.

It does feel like Monte has been taking over lately when it's needed. I wasn't sure if he had that in him. I love seeing him get a mismatch and go to work.

I know Solomon starting has coincided with the winning streak, but I think the biggest development was Naz getting his 3-point stroke back. That baseline action has proved to be the difference, IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I hope you're right. I worry he will have to try to do too much to replace Monte. His effectiveness is possibly higher due to playing along side of Monte and Naz. Then again, he'll have more minutes to shine. Will be interesting to say the least.

Wiggington is going to be a HUGE help for Jackson. If Jackson can figure out how to finish in the lane or develop a floater, he could be an above average Big 12 guard.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Over the course of the season, nearly all of these guys have improved. Young's growth has been a real revelation, but for me Burton is the key......when he is really on his game, he is a difference maker on both ends of the court.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Not even close for me, Deonte. He has gone from a solid 6th/7th man on last years team to arguable an All-Big 12 player. His inconsistency was a major issue earlier in the year. Seems to me during the Big 12 campaign there have been very few games where he was a no show. Averaging close to 15ppg and 5rpg is not bad. I believe I heard during the Baylor telecast he is in the top 10 players of 4 different statistical categories during Big 12 season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron