MBB: Meltdown thread

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I am done being invested in ISU bball this year. I am getting too mad and too frustrated and it is not healthy.

I think I know you well enough to believe you will be back after a couple of cool off days. :smile:

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
MCBB in this era is a guards game. It starts and stops with the guards. And before anything happened this year, back in September, we all knew that ISU was going to be challenged with an inexperienced backcourt. Lucca's situation made a shaky situation a devastating situation.

As bad as it feels, its not surprising.

Add to that Wesley's health, Jiri not at 100% yet, and you are getting what you are seeing.

This is the truth! Very good post! Can't let the obvious blind us just because we are fans! Doesn't make it easier to experience though...

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I was unimpressed with GMAC's resume at UNI. They typically faltered down the stretch in conference play and although they made the NCAA a couple times...UNI also made the tourny prior to GMAC so it's not like he broke new ground. They also won a game in the NCAA prior to GMAC (something he was never able to accomplish). Remember Maurice Newby over Mizzou!

Didnt UNI beat a decent LSU a couple of years ago?

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
This is the truth! Very good post! Can't let the obvious blind us just because we are fans! Doesn't make it easier to experience though...

No doubt...its tough to go through...and as fans we are emotionally involved. But that does not change the reality...as much hope and wishful thinking as we may have, sometimes it is what it is. I am not going to go Bobby Knight/Connie Chung here, but we all knew these things when the ball went up on opening night.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
No doubt...its tough to go through...and as fans we are emotionally involved. But that does not change the reality...as much hope and wishful thinking as we may have, sometimes it is what it is. I am not going to go Bobby Knight/Connie Chung here, but we all knew these things when the ball went up on opening night.

Jon, are you being nice to us Clones so in return we go easy on you after your Hawks get pummeled by UNI? (I bet it won't be quite the pummeling we just saw, though.):smile:

kcclones

Mar 23, 2006
Kansas City
if we lost by 35 tonight AND played good fundamental basketball (rebounds,defense) and showed some heart i wouldn't mind as much..the fact we looked slow and like there was no effort was hard to watch

clonefan98

Apr 12, 2006
We tied the our least amount of points ever scored in a half since 1949.

Really? Wasn't the game vs Iowa in 1995 some crazy low score at half time? I don't remember what it was exactly, but I would have figured we had less than 20 that night before half.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Rebuilding or not, I don't think its too much to ask to win at least ONE out of the last six games against MVC opponents.

As I said in the now-defunct game thread, 6 straight losses to MVC teams should not EVER happen to a program like ISU in basketball. I don't care how good everyone says the MVC is.

I kind of chuckled when I saw the line on the game earlier today. Now I find that I chuckled for the opposite reason that I should have.

Rickybaby

Apr 15, 2006
Well, here is one postive that people can appreciate; all the aggravation was lost on the out of state fans, even those that purchased ESPN Full Court, because the TV coverage is so horrible that we couldn't even get the game. Can't watch ... hard to get aggravated.

You have to find something to like in the present situation, don't you?

tufnel

Oct 22, 2006
does anyone remember the posts from this summer about Drake's guards at the Cap City league? If I remember right, people were VERY impressed with Drake's guards in that league....and yet...OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF AND I DIDN'T EVEN SEE IT COMIN'!!!

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
I know recruiting rankings don't mean a whole lot when it comes down to playing basketball but we have 4 top 150 players on this years team (Clark, Brackins, Garrett, Cory Johnson) and the biggest diamond in the rough I have ever seen (W. Johnson). Despite bad guard play, ISU should be better coached with that much talent. I actually expected to lose the game tonight but not by 35.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I think we can all agree that Drake was shooting lights out tonight, and they've probably had few (if any) team shootarounds in which they were hitting the three with that kind of consistency.

However, the most frustrating part was that this game was pretty much a televised shootaround. Our effot definitely appeared to be lacking. Our guard play was the worst it has been this year, and this isn't even close to the best guards we'll face this year.

We didn't get any loose balls, we had fouls on defense because our guys were getting beat, we weren't rebounding, we didn't get the ball into the post to take advantage of our size.

Jiri was the biggest guy on the floor, and did he even score other than that rebound dunk after we were down by 37?

I understand the apologists saying that the cupboard was bare, that we've had an unprecedented amount of player turnover, that we've had injuries, etc. This is all true. I'm still on the McDermott bandwagon.

With that said, we should never have to see something like that again. I don't mean the point differential because Kansas is going to be able to beat us by as many as they want. I mean the lack of effort, toughness, and discipline. We did nothing right.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
With that said, we should never have to see something like that again. I don't mean the point differential because Kansas is going to be able to beat us by as many as they want. I mean the lack of effort, toughness, and discipline. We did nothing right.

I dont think we will, unless its Kansas. But sometimes we sneak up on those Jayhawks.