Matt Blair inducted into Vikings Ring of Honor

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Bud Grant told me he had the most talent of any Iowa State player that he had seen. When I responded that while he was certainly good, I asked him how he determined Matt was the best.
Bud then asked me--"What other player was so impactful that the NFL had change the rules because of him?"

Last edited:

only4cy

Nov 21, 2006
Given Blair's proficiency at blocking kicks, I would assume it is the "leverage" rule at the line of scrimmage.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Best Cyclone football player ever.

Bold statement

It might be bold, but it's true. I'll go even bolder.....

There is not a single team in the history of college football that Matt Blair would not have started on. If any team ever had two better OLB's (doubtful), he still would have been on the field as either a SS or a DE. He was that talented and that versitile.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
At last! Next Pro Football HoF - Matt Blair deserves to be there, period.

Have we had a cyclone inducted into to Pro Football HoF?

*edit* I realize this is a stupid question. I'm new to football so cut me some slack.

Last edited:

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Blair was so good at blocking kicks that the NFL changed the rule that you can no longer have a running start.

As a side note, when a mentioned Iowa State years ago to a long time Arkansas booster, he immediately mention Blair, saying he was the hardest hitting player he had ever seen. Evidently they carried the Hog running back (Dickey?) off the field after a hit from Blair that he said could be heard anywhere in the stadium.

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
Great person too......hes my dads cyclone hero. Asked him for a couple autographs and he personalized two...one for me, one for dad and sent them to us. He loves it.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Blair was so good at blocking kicks that the NFL changed the rule that you can no longer have a running start. As a side note, when a mentioned Iowa State years ago to a long time Arkansas booster, he immediately mention Blair, saying he was the hardest hitting player he had ever seen. Evidently they carried the Hog running back (Dickey?) off the field after a hit from Blair that he said could be heard anywhere in the stadium.

Ok thank you, i never saw him play. Sounds like i missed out.