License plate question/Private sale

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dmclone, Sep 27, 2010.

1. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    If you sell your car to a person in another state do you have to return your license plate to the state? Where?

2. CarolinaCy

CarolinaCy Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Don't you have to return your plates to get a pro-rated refund on your registration? I would assume you'd return them to the county in which the vehicle was registered. Otherwise I guess you can just keep them and let the registration expire.

3. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    If they are personalized, you keep them.

4. CarolinaCy

CarolinaCy Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Here's what Polk County says:

If I sell my vehicle and do not replace it, do I get a refund for the unused portion of my registration payment?

[​IMG]If you sell a vehicle and DO NOT replace the vehicle within 30 days, you may apply for a refund. The following is required:

• You have up to six months after you sell your vehicle to apply for a refund.
    • The calculated unused portion of the registration fee must be $10 or more to receive a refund. The refund is calculated from the date the vehicle is disposed to the expiration of the registration.
    • The license plates must be turned in and the date of disposal disclosed at any county treasurer’s office.
    • The refund is submitted to the State of Iowa by the County Treasurer and the refund will take approximately four weeks to receive.

5. simville02

simville02 Member

Mar 25, 2009
    RSStover,WKG,Menards

Surrendering License Plates?
    You only have to return your Iowa license plates if you're applying for a registration refund. Otherwise, you are not required to return your Iowa plates.

Iowa License Plates & Placards Information - DMV Guide?

Take to DMV to return if doing so.

6. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    It's a motorcycle license plate so I'm not very worried about the refund.