Len Elmore is horrible

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mt85, Mar 26, 2010.

1. mt85

mt85 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    I thought Len Elmore was horrible last night.

Just one example from last night. A KSU post player lowered his shoulder and initiated contact with the Xavier defender that had established position. The defender went down, but the officials decided it was a flop and let the contact go.

Len's opinion was that the officials should have called a foul on the Xavier player because the KSU player lost control of the ball and it resulted in a turnover. Hard to understand that type of logic.

2. 1100011CS

1100011CS Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Marshalltown
    Is that the guy that kept saying "times out"? I'm not sure what the correct way to indicate more than one time out but that sounds funny.

And yes, he sounded like a K-State homer.

3. CyFever

CyFever Active Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I noticed that exact same play and thought Len was wrong too. KSU player lost control a dribble after the Xavier player went down. There was another play that he kept referring to before that where his logic was pretty weak, but I forget what it was. He mentioned it 3-4 times.

Gus Johnson was good though.

4. bawbie

bawbie Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    he kept going on and on and on and on about the foul that wasn't called just before the three shot foul that tied it at the end of regulation.

5. tman24

tman24 Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2008
    yes i was so tired of times out. its ******* time outs you idiot.

6. heitclone

heitclone Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Male
    Recreation Therapist
    Malvern, IA
    Wrong, he said it should've been either a charge or a block. His point was since the contact impacted the play that there should have been some foul called atleast.

7. jaws90us

jaws90us Member

Nov 3, 2006
    If the official made the call that it wasn't a charge. Then he should have made a blocking call. There was contact and something should be called. It did cause the player to lose the ball. I am not college official , but I am high school official.

In high school you can call a technical when a player flops intentionally trying to draw a charge. I have never called one for that. I just tell the player not to do it again or it could be technical. I think in college they just let it go, if the basket is made or doesn't influence the player to lose control of the ball.

My thought on the play. He flopped he went down hard with not that much contact. If he would have stood his ground and the K State player moved him in a more convincing manner then I would have called the charge.

Len Elmore was correct. He should have called the block.

8. jay moe

jay moe Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Educator
    southern iowa
    I disagree, Johnson was equally as bad, he kept spewing out the wrong stats and yelled way too much. He is starting to get old.

9. cyismydog

cyismydog Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Blasphemy!
    Dude, Gus Johnson is the best NCAA announcer...EVER.

10. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    I hope you never officiate my games. The contact did not cause him to lose the ball. He hit him with his back side. He lost the ball because of other reasons. You absolutely cannot call a block there. A technical while cheap is more of a possibility that a block. There was contact made and it was initiated by the KSU player. Calling ab lock there would be terrible.

11. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    He said a block should have been called.

12. sodakjoe

sodakjoe Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
    FALSE.

FACT.

13. mt85

mt85 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Len was very clear on his opinion that the foul should have been called on the Xavier defender.

14. CyPride

CyPride Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    How many times did he go on about the guy's hand being hurt, and then saying that he must just have been tired.....

15. superdorf

superdorf Well-Known Member

I thought Len was bad. I also thought he sounded exactly like Clark Kellogg.

16. mt85

mt85 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    +1

17. jaws90us

jaws90us Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Sounds like you play the game. You look at play again. If the defender hadn't gone down so easy and really acted it out. I might have agreed with you, but he did and so he should be penalized for trying that.

You look take look at the rules.

18. brokenloginagain

brokenloginagain Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Guys... the game double OT...they were talking for hours...you're not going to get it perfect the entire game.

I did think it was funny that a Harvard Law grad says "times out."

19. CRcyclone6

CRcyclone6 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Male
    Recruiting
    Cedar Rapids
    I don't think it was Len's best game, but I do enjoy Gus even though I thought last night he was getting too excited on some not excitable plays. I thought the line of the game was when Pullen was shooting fts and Len was describing how important practicing fts are, just for these situations. Then Crawford, i think, comes down and nails a 30-fter to tie, Len says, "practicing those are important to" I found it funny.

20. Cydkar

Cydkar Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Heard that. I called him stupid for that as well. No call was correct.