Leath leaves ISU for Auburn president job

Discussion in 'Campus Life' started by cyIclSoneU, Mar 18, 2017.

1. awd4cy

awd4cy Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    Our next president really has big shoes to fill.

2. boone7247

boone7247 Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Male
    CPA
    Near the City
    I feel like Leath accomplished a lot while at ISU. He obviously has made some rough decisions that make defending him difficult. That said, maybe it is a good time for a change. The University is in a very good place, Leath has helped to lead it there. And by leaving before to much heat gets on him the university doesn't suffer. Here is hoping the Regents do a excellent job in their search for the next president.

As far as athletics go, I feel we are passed the time where a President is going to come in and screw that up. Jamie has been in his job for along time, short of the new President and JP not getting along personally, the AD should be allowed to run autonomous to the school. Obviously there are ties and JP has to know who his boss is, but the AD doesn't count on the school nears as much as it used to in the past. As a matter of fact the school has to recognize the AD is one of it's best marketing tools.

3. 1UNI2ISU

1UNI2ISU Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Waterloo
    Have faith. The BoR found the absolute perfect guy for UNI and he's been incredibly well received by everybody in his first few months here. They learned a lot from the Herrald fiasco and ran a great, open and inclusive search at UNI.

You'll get a good one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cyIclSoneU

cyIclSoneU Active Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Those of you who are around Ames should participate in the open forums that will happen when the search gets going and ask the candidates about their vision for athletics, the importance of Big 12 membership, etc.

5. SpokaneCY

SpokaneCY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Manager of Natural Gas
    Spokane, WA
    You have more time to post now that your NIT dreams died in OT. I'm sad we'll see more of you.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DandyCyclone

DandyCyclone Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Male
    Future CF Mod
    Western Iowa
    Leath have big feet?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Cy$

Cy$ Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Being an a-hole
    Ames
  8. Tornado man

Tornado man Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    Predictions:
    1. David Holger (Asst. Provost, dean of Graduate College) will be named interim president.
    2. In a few months, Provost Jonathan Wickert will named next ISU president

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. cyclonestate

cyclonestate Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Question: So who at Iowa State is NOT excited by this news?

Answer: A couple of former Republican legislators (Jim Kurtenbach and Tom Paulsen) who behind close doors were given newly created positions with six figure salaries, and Miles Lackey who will have to pack his UHaul and follow Leath to Alabama.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. Cyfan1965

Cyfan1965 Member

Nov 9, 2016
    Male
    Iowa
    You would have thought he sold an ISU TV station to a friend with all the crap he is getting :)

11. CTTB78

CTTB78 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Don't know anything about the guy, but when was the last time they ever went with an internal candidate?

12. IAStubborn

IAStubborn Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Male
    It's like Alford going to NM or McDermott going to Creighton.

13. Tornado man

Tornado man Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    I don't think most universities do, but Wickert is a different case. Iowa State doesn't want to lose him. A harbinger will be who is named interim President. If Wickert is named as interim, that means he has no interest in becoming President, as interims never become the eventual successor. If another interim is named, and I predict Holger, then Wickert has thrown his hat in.

14. CTTB78

CTTB78 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2006
    I like the idea of hiring an Iowa Stater but past hiring practices say the BOR will think the grass is greener on the outside. Doesn't make sense to me, but that seems to be the political practice.

15. CTTB78

CTTB78 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Well, you might get your wish.

16. cyIclSoneU

cyIclSoneU Active Member

Apr 7, 2016
    The past number of replacements have been when the BOR was looking to go in another direction. This time I think the BOR would have been happy to keep Leath for another five years (assuming Planegate went away). That may make it more likely that they choose a successor more likely to follow the same path, i.e. an internal hire like Wickert. Wickert is also better suited to be a university president than I think most if not all of the provosts at the time of the last few presidential searches at ISU/UI/UNI.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    I admittedly don't know how this whole process works. I understand the BOR hires the next president, but are there any checks and balances over the BOR at all? What if they bring in someone that nobody wants or likes? Is ISU just stuck with them?

The Iowa hire makes me think you have no recourse because it doesn't seem like anyone at Iowa wanted him to be the hire.