LE could have 18 wins going into the conference tourney

Discussion in 'General College Sports' started by cdekovic, Feb 22, 2010.

1. cdekovic

cdekovic Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Ames
    Southern Miss is 16-10 and has two games left against teams with 20 wins and two teams with losing records. They are in sixth place in a twelve team conference. Will they be in the NIT? They are in Conference USA with Memphis and UTEP.

2. Drive4cy

Drive4cy Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2006
    They probably need to finish top 4 to get into the NIT. Their non-conference is pretty lackluster.

It's good to see Larry rally the troops after the rough start they had in conference play.

3. brentblum

brentblum Brett Blume
    Staff Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Probably no NIT for LE. Conference USA will have 2-3 max in the NCAA tourney this year. And only 32 teams make the NIT, so I doubt the conference could get 3 additional teams in the NIT.

Additionally, 2 of Larry's wins came against non Division 1 teams. So. Miss would have to win 3 of their last 4 and win a couple in the tourney to have a shot IMO.

4. Go2Guy

Go2Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Chemical Engineer
    Houston, TX
    Even with an NIT appearance this year, makes it (5) years at the helm with only the NIT - seems like a pretty mediocre coaching record to me.
    I wonder if the AD still thinks he got a steal by hiring a former AP COY.

5. Stingray

Stingray Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Ames, IA
    I still blame Bruce Van De Velde for firing LE and getting us into this mess.

6. rworkman83

rworkman83 Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Staff Member Bookie

Aug 9, 2006
    Male
    Sports Information Dir.
    Boone & Cedar Rapids
    You do realize he is at Southern Miss right? He started with less than G-Mac started with here...

7. Go2Guy

Go2Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Chemical Engineer
    Houston, TX
    I blame JP for pulling the trigger way too early on Morgan, without a chance to correct any perceived issues JP though might have existed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Go2Guy

Go2Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Chemical Engineer
    Houston, TX
    You do realize it was CUSA, with two non-div 1 teams on schedule right? I guess if we include his last (3) at ISU, that makes eight years with one NIT post-season appearance.,

9. bostrem00

bostrem00 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    ISU Post-grad Warrior
    Johnston
    Yup, even Gary Thompson wanted to give Larry a second chance....but the last 2 AD's, (post Gene Smith), can't handle having an ego bigger than their own in this program....

10. erikbj

erikbj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2006
    compliance officer
    hiawatha, ia
    Yeah, USM is a basketball powerhouse with recent a recent visit to the elite 8 :biglaugh:

He really ran that program into the ground.

11. Go2Guy

Go2Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Chemical Engineer
    Houston, TX
    Worse than he did ours ? :biggrin:

12. KneeGusto

KneeGusto Active Member

Some might say taking Southern Miss to a tournament - any tournament - in 5 years is actually a decent rebuilding job.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Larry is doing better at USM than Mac is doing at ISU... hire Larry back!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. clone136

clone136 Active Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Student
    Ames via Soux City

Debatable

15. rworkman83

rworkman83 Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Staff Member Bookie

Aug 9, 2006
    Male
    Sports Information Dir.
    Boone & Cedar Rapids
    You're kidding right?

16. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Good for Larry. I hope he gets them rebuilt.

17. KneeGusto

KneeGusto Active Member

Southern Miss was one of those low-Div 1 programs that typically played 13 of their first 18 games on the road to generate income before LE arrived. It wasn't a Div 1 program that needed tweaking or a rebuilding project, it is a program that wasn't built in the first place.

I'm not anointing him king and not even debating what he did or didn't do at ISU. I'm not pining for his absence at ISU nor defending his departure.

I'm just saying what he has done at S Miss is difficult to quantify - and some see it as very positive considering the circumstances he walked into at Hattiesburg.

• Like Like x 1
  18. cyclonenum1

cyclonenum1 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2006
    A few comments:

The quality of play in CUSA this year is horrid...I have seen two games in person...absolutely horrid.

Southern Miss had a pretty decent program in MBB under MK Turk from the late 70s through the late 90s.

LE is in his 19th season as a head coach and he has only coached 3 teams to the NCAA Tournament in those 19 years.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Seriously, with some of those teams, I'm sorry (and stunned) that you had to see those two games. That's not pretty.

I also don't think he's done that much. We romanticize his big run here, but plenty of guys have had one quick run and flamed out. He sure seems to be one of those.

20. Lets see.... would you rather recruit to Ames, Iowa and the Big Twelve Conference... or Hattiesburg, Miss and Conference USA.

It's a no-brainer!

BRING LARRY BACK!!