Last Resort

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Clark, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Accountant
    Altoona
    Just watched this tonight. Best pilot I've seen in years. If the rest of the episodes are as good as this one, we might have a network drama that can give the cable shows a run for their money.

2. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

What is it about? I saw a banner on Facebook about the government murdering people, and that's about it,

3. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Accountant
    Altoona
    A US submarine was fired on by other US ships because they refused a shaky order from an unknown source. They then set up base on an island and use the 18 nukes on board as defense.

The show stars Andre Braugher who is excellent in this role.

4. FDclone

FDclone Member

May 30, 2010
    I have heard that this is one of the best new shows(IGN.com), but it had really bad ratings so it might not survive their first season(YaHoo!.com).

5. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Accountant
    Altoona
    Initial ratings weren't great but it's in a tough timeslot. It's a good enough show that I strongly recommend people watch it but if you wait to see it on DVD so you know if there's going to be a second season or not I'd understand that

6. JHudd

JHudd Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Male
    Plano, TX
    We finally caught the pilot tonight off our DVR and both my wife and I loved the show. I realize this will mean that I won't get to see a full season.

7. carvers4math

carvers4math Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Watched it on DVR tonight. Lot of good stuff on Thurs plus football.

It reminded me of 24 with part of the US govt looking like they are trying to start a war.

8. Naughtius

Naughtius Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Central IA
    I thought it was so-so. Plotline right out of Crimson Tide. Lots of plot holes (the SEALs being allowed to keep their weapons was one) But I'll give it another chance. Agree w/JHudd that me liking it means it won't survive the season, like The Nine.

9. klamath632

klamath632 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    I loved it. I will be giving it a second viewing next week.

10. cygrads

cygrads Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
    Altoona, IA
    So is it protocol to take weapons from everyone getting on the sub? If it is okay - I didn't know that. Didn't seem wrong to me because at that point they are all in the Navy so no big deal. As the show went along I wondered if the SEALs were there by happenstance or were they planned to be there to ensure the Colorado would fire the missiles.

I really liked the show.

11. simply1

simply1 Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Portland, OR
    It was interesting, there's a lot of context missing about the current "state" of the government and other foreign powers. I'll probably watch at least another episode and see how it progresses.

12. cygrads

cygrads Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
    Altoona, IA
    I think this is intentional and they will fill in as they go with flashbacks or in some other way.

13. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Would you rather watch another cops and robbers show instead? At least, this is something different.

14. BigBake

BigBake Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Programming monkey
    U'dale
    Much rather watch this...especially over another singing or reality show.

Would love to see it make it a few seasons. I'm just guessing it won't.

15. The_Architect

The_Architect Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
  16. klamath632

klamath632 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    If it was NBC, I know they'd find a way to destroy it. They've had gems (Boomtown, Studio 60) on their hands and utterly annihilated them.
    If it was FOX, they'd order a 2nd season, force cast changes, halve the budget, and then wonder where all the viewers went (Human Target, anyone?) while they process the cancellation.
    I'm happy that it's ABC. I'm not as familiar with them, so maybe my positivity is unfounded, but I think they'll give this show the support it needs to grow. Lost was a crazy premise, and it paid off for them. Hopefully Last Resort will do the same.

17. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    Watched this last night, very well done. One of the few (only?) new shows I actually liked.

18. agrabes

agrabes Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2006
    I enjoyed 666 Park Avenue last night on ABC. Of course, that was partly because Terry O'Quinn is one of my favorite actors.

19. The_Architect

The_Architect Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
    I plan on watching tonight via DVR. I'll definitely give it a shot because of John Locke being in it. Also, the blonde hacker from Transformers is in it. Crickey she's hot.

20. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Accountant
    Altoona
    I didn't realize you were Australian, mate. Or did you just drink some Fosters?