Last 6:40... Wow!

Discussion in 'Football' started by Topshelf, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Topshelf

Topshelf Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Financial Planner
    Ames, IA
    I just watched replay of the game and can't believe we didn't pull it off.

- ISU kicks field goal with about 6:40 left in the game.

- the d played so well against Austin all game and he runs 75 yards for td. No blame here, they played well against a great player but he broke one.

- WV tries to give us the game, face mask after third and long gives us fifteen yards and first down. Huge.

- after Shontrell breaks a nice 15 yard run we follow it up with a Richardson run for 15 yards.

- this is where things get weird. All of the momentum on our side we run after two 15 yard gains, right? Nope, throw to Mr. Clutch Josh Lentz.... Wide open, dropped. I'm still not sure how he dropped it. I'm not blaming anyone, goo play because he wa open, still can't believe he dropped it.

- second play, again weird stuff, Richardson throws a dead duck that skips to Shontrell who probably would have gained at least five yards if not more...

- third down, more weird stuff, good play to Gary who drops it and would have possibly got the first...

- this time WV still trying to give us the game get another penalty for first down...

- bring in woody! He never fumbles, guarantees two to three yards a carry... Weird stuff part four takes over, he fumbles... Again not blaming anyone just still in shock a day later that first Lenz, then woody dropped balls.

i really don't have any light to she'd on the loss just baffled by how many strange things happened the last six plus minutes.

great game, wish we could have pulled it off but I always do...

2. ISUAgronomist

ISUAgronomist Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Ag Research
    Close Enough, IA
    Don't have to believe it because it wasn't a drop. Knocked out of his hand by the DB.

3. Topshelf

Topshelf Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Financial Planner
    Ames, IA
    Just noticed all the errors and I apologize for writing on my phone..,

4. Topshelf

Topshelf Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Financial Planner
    Ames, IA
    Sorry, can't believe he had it knocked out. I didn't mean anything negative, just wish he caught it.

5. Luth4Cy

Luth4Cy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Ames, IA
    Refresh my memory, were there any missed tackles on the 75 yard run by Austin? Somebody said Shaeffer had one, but I don't remember this.

6. ISUAgronomist

ISUAgronomist Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Ag Research
    Close Enough, IA
    He was near him but a WVU player was blocking (slight hold) him and then gave enough push to get him on the ground IIRC.

7. The_Architect

The_Architect Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
    No, Shaeffer got blown up on a great block.

8. Luth4Cy

Luth4Cy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Ames, IA
    Thanks for the reassurance. I thought it was a block but somebody said it was a missed tackle. Kid played well for a walk-on against an explosive offense.

9. Ficklone02

Ficklone02 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    CPA
    City by the Bay
    First thing I remembered on the play was a tremendous amount of angst as Austin received the ball because he had a full head of steam on that play as he received the ball like none other, and one guy threw himself at his legs to tackle him and missed and he was off to the races.

10. Topshelf

Topshelf Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Financial Planner
    Ames, IA
    Just unbelievable how so much can go our way, yet go wrong at the same time.

11. The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
    Does that "touch pass" bother anyone else as much as it bothers me? Seems like such a cheap way to get around the rules. The reason they do that forward touch pass is because if the ball is dropped it's an incomplete pass and not a fumble. It's very smart offensively but seems so cheap to me. I've seen a few teams using that this year. Common sense says if they miss that play it should be a fumble.

12. Ficklone02

Ficklone02 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    CPA
    City by the Bay
    That's true, but they're following & using the rules the their advantage.

13. iahawkhunter

iahawkhunter Well-Known Member

I hate that damn pass! :realmad:

If a team wants the fumble-protection of a pass play (i.e., a miss being an incomplete pass rather than a fumble) they should be required to pass the ball with a normal throwing motion. The flick/shovel-pass bugs me, too.

14. The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
    I completely agree it's within the rules but I just think it's a cheap way of manipulating the rules since they were clearly not intended for that.

15. swarthmoreCY

swarthmoreCY Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Here nor there
    If the refs had guts, they could almost call it a fumble. It is subjective.

16. isufbcurt

isufbcurt Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Male
    CPA
    Newton
    Nope. I love the play.

No different than running a shovel pass.

17. tee1up

tee1up Active Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Golf Professional
    Scottsdale, AZ
    That is a great point, and something I hope we can work in next year. A lot of their plays, their playmakers got the ball at full speed. Our guys always seem to get the ball standing still, and have to get going. Too slow developing.

18. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    Agreed. When you have speed and a good base running play, this misdirection works perfectly - as it did on us. Credit to them.

19. theshadow

theshadow Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    No, it is not.

20. swarthmoreCY

swarthmoreCY Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Here nor there
    Sure can be (key word in first post is almost). If it is not ruled pass, it would be a fumble, correct? What determines if it is a pass is the key, demonstrated control or potential for control by the QB. The ruling it a pass is the subjective part. Fundamentally, my point is not too different than the tuck rule or whether a receiver made a "football" move in determining fumbles.