Lanning to play some at linebacker???

Discussion in 'Football' started by danielyp29, Feb 26, 2017.

1. CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Male
    Urbandale
    My initial reaction to the idea was "no way." But then I considered myself in Lanning's shoes. You acknowledge Park & Noland as the QB duo of the future and start to wonder about your playing time as a RS senior. I'd probably request a few snaps at linebacker if I were him just to try it out. Lanning definitely has the size and toughness for it. Not saying it'd work, but it may be worth a shot.

2. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
    I think if they wanted to move him away from QB, I'd go TE, RB, WR or something that actually touches the ball before I'd go defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HappyCreeker

HappyCreeker New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Marshalltown
    Derrick Walker successfully transitioned from QB to LB back in 1999-2000. Not saying it's the right thing for JL, but it can be done. Walker had never previously played defense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    I agree, but I wonder if he could still run his small package of short yardage plays while being a full-time LB. He wouldn't be the backup QB, just a situational/emergency QB. He wouldn't have to go through all of the QB prep.

We definitely could use him at LB if he could help there.

5. CyArob

CyArob Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Staff Writer
    MN
    Jabril Peppers wishes he could be as dynamic as Joel Lanning.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Cymon

Cymon Active Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Ankeny
    This player is still around the program. Noland didn't get hurt coming off the bus to Ames. He has practiced with the team. And like I said, take it for what it's worth. I don't care if you believe me or not.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. brett108

brett108 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    Chemical Engineer
    Tulsa, OK
    I think his intent was to deflect blame from CMC. It may not have been your intent to blame him, but he appears to have taken it that way.

8. norcalcy

norcalcy Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
  9. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    I know CMC was REALLY high on Zeb last year. So I don't think it would be all that surprising if Park was #1 and Noland #2 going into next year, with Lanning maybe only used sparingly at QB inside the 5 or 10 yd line.

If that were the case, could Lanning still play some LB, or H-back when he isn't in at QB? I don't see why not? It would make a lot more sense to me to see him in some kind of H-back role though with his ability to run people over, as well as the option of handing him the ball with the option to throw.

I don't see our LB position as such a weakness that we need to put Lanning there, but maybe the coaching staff doesn't see it that way?

I just know that Lanning NEEDS to play and be on the field a lot somewhere. He's a baller, and he's too much of a talent to be standing on the sideline.

10. DrT

DrT Active Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Male
    Veterinarian
    Mammoth Lakes, CA
    FAR too valuable a commodity on offense to risk injury playing defense! I have always been intrigued by the potential trickeration in using TWO QB's together!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Superintendent
    Des Moines
    Am I the only one who doesn't think Lanning is poor passer? I mean he throws a far prettier deep ball than Park and it isn't like Park set the world on fire last year. Just seems like everyone has written him off as a terrible passer and I think its far from the truth.

Either way idc how Lanning gets on the field. He needs to play, and if he doesn't I would call Campbell a fool.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. Cyforce

Cyforce Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Des Moines
    Love to see JL get 40 carries/500 yards/8TDS against Tech next fall.

Give the Offense a break and the OL gets to do what OLs like best.

13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    Playing two QBs maybe gives you more options for trickeration, but I don't really see it giving much of a benefit. If you're playing a disciplined defense, it won't do much at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. tolfbfan

tolfbfan Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Teacher
    Ohio

We can only hope this is true. IF so, the future is AMAZING for the offense!!!!:):):):)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tolfbfan

tolfbfan Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Teacher
    Ohio
    If they are considering LB then he has showed traits that make them think he will be a monstor at that position!

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. CyValley

CyValley Well-Known Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Noland was a mid-year enrollee, was here for winter workouts, played all spring including the spring game, summer workouts. . . .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. cyclonespiker33

cyclonespiker33 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Male
    All of which Park was not present for. How can they fairly be compared?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. NetflixAndClone

NetflixAndClone Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Student
    Ames
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Superintendent
    Des Moines
    Well considering Park has a whole season ahead of Zeb, if Noland really is better than Park that should speak volumes to his ability. Not sure what you're getting at with this point.

20. CloneConer

CloneConer New Member

Apr 15, 2016
    Seeing as we have been making linebacker comparisons about Lanning ever since he ran over a bunch of Texas players in his starting debut, this seems like a great idea. I think some people are underestimating how much leadership and knowledge he could bring to the other side of the ball. LBs are basically the QB of the defense. One aspect is knowing your own scheme and how you fit into it, but the best defenders can read the offense and know what play is coming before it happens. Lanning has potential to thrive in both, especially with the offensive knowledge he has.

No matter what he plays, I'm glad he plays for us!