Lanning to play some at linebacker???

Discussion in 'Football' started by danielyp29, Feb 26, 2017.

1. TheJackWePack5

TheJackWePack5 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Male
    Agronomist
    Ankeny, IA.
    I think there is a name out there that is being kept quiet. Likely a grad transfer. I couldn't tell you who though

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. tolfbfan

tolfbfan Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Teacher
    Ohio
    Lanning lines up in the slot...he motions toward park but behind him. Snap to Park, toss to Lanning. Run pass option since he has ball 7 yards deep heading to edge. Just saying.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Al_4_State

Al_4_State Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    Lanning might be our best RB.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. ForbinsAscynt

ForbinsAscynt Active Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Male
    I have a hard time seeing this happening. He had a ton of TDs last year rushing, even late in the season with Park as #1

5. exCYtable

exCYtable Member

Apr 15, 2010
    And then fake-tosses to Lanning, and throws deep. It would almost be unstoppable, you could have the defense guessing so much...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

I think Lanning has the ability to be used creatively, and the talent that just begs to be used somewhere on the field as much as possible. Linebacker, though? I was thinking back or TE. Not every down by any means, but packages.

7. weR138

weR138 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2008
    LB, nah. I think the thunder/lightning two QB thing can work (did work) when deployed well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Cymon

Cymon Active Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Ankeny
    I ran into a former player over the weekend that said Lanning would be at LB and that Noland is the best QB on the team. Take it for what it's worth.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Rural

Rural Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010

If that's true, it's worth a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Beyerball

Beyerball Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Sales
    Texas
    No..

11. Desiigner

Desiigner Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2016
    There's no way he could LB next year. Picking up a new position that he's never played before isn't easy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Accountant
    Altoona
    I could see him playing linebacker next year, but not also while being the backup quarterback. A position switch of that magnitude would require a ton of work, and even backup quarterbacks have way too much on their plates for him to do both.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. cyclonespiker33

cyclonespiker33 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Male
    How would a former player know that Noland is the best QB on the team when he was hurt last year?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. isume6

isume6 Member

May 22, 2011
    Male
    Mechanical Engineer
    OKC
    I can believe the Lanning to LB talk.....if you have watched the short video clips the football program has been putting out for the winter workouts, Lanning has been in a yellow jersey in all of them. QB's have the green jerseys for no touching. Blue have always been used for injured or limited players, Red for offense, and Yellow for defense, if I am not mistaken. Have been wondering what was going on with his development this year.

Like others, I would hate to lose the LanRam package for short yardage or goal line stuff, but I think he is smart enough to be able to deal with those while focusing his efforts elsewhere on the field. Shows his leadership skills and work ethic, doing what is best for the team despite what he might most want to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. dualthreat

dualthreat Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    I'm not convinced Lanning will play a big role in our offense this year. He didn't even play 7 days after rushing for 171 yards and 5 touchdowns last year. Well, he played for 1 snap, rushed for a touchdown (that was called back) and Campbell benched him again. Oh and we got smoked in that game.

I'd love to see Joel come in for short yardage as a spark to our run game. But despite what Campbell has voiced as his potential, it didn't even get utilized. What is so convincing that time will change that? That's probably why they are trying him at LB-- because his use on offense will be limited.

For the record, I'm not saying he won't play-- he just won't play more than 5-10 plays per game. (which is more than he played vs WVU)

16. 2020cy

2020cy Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    We need linebackers, might be a heck of a move. Get your best players on the field.

17. CyBlitz

CyBlitz Active Member

May 9, 2016
    First there was not many short yardage situations in the the WV game, even lanning pointed that out. Second Campbell wants success from lanning or he wouldn't of use him so much in the tech game. Third it wasn't Campbell fault the touchdown was called back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. dualthreat

dualthreat Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    I'm not sure of your intent, but none of this contradicts anything that I said. Short yardage, penalties, what have you, none of that changes the fact he did not record a statistic. He won't play more than 5-10 plays per game.

19. Al_4_State

Al_4_State Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    That's a waste.

20. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    He should be a TE/H-Back/FB. You need to get the ball in his hands. If he plays LB, I would imagine it won't be very good. When do you suppose the last time he tackled someone was? There's also a chance that he goes somewhere to play QB if you try that.

• Disagree Disagree x 2