Landline vs no landline...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BMFClone, Jul 17, 2012.

1. BMFClone

BMFClone Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Western IA
    Where does everyone stand on this? I still have one, but am contemplating getting rid of it. What does everyone else do?

2. djcubby

djcubby Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    Bondurant
    Got rid of my landline years ago...never had a second thought.

3. CRcyclone6

CRcyclone6 Well-Known Member
    Bookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Male
    Recruiting
    Cedar Rapids
    We have one. My wife's aunt that watches the kids at times does not have a cell phone.

4. SNEDDS3

SNEDDS3 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Being "The Man!"
    Bellevue, IA
    I haven't had a land line since 1999.

5. ISUAgronomist

ISUAgronomist Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Ag Research
    Close Enough, IA
    Haven't had a landline in a decade. My family has my cell phone number. I signed up for a free Google Voice number to give out to utilities, student loans, etc. that forwards recorded messages to my Gmail account.

6. CysMyBoy

CysMyBoy Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Ames, IA
    I'm interested on everyone's thoughts as well. I don't plan on ever having a land line, and am even considering removing wiring in rooms that are being remodeled

7. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    We have one, but not for long. The only people using it are telemarketers and politicians.

We've been ready for a while, but haven't pulled the trigger. With a baby on the way, I don't think this phone is a good idea for election season.

Overall, I don't see much benefit to having a landline anymore, unless you just like spending extra money.

8. Cyclonin

Cyclonin Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Dallas, TX

If the wiring is exisiting, IMO its not a bad idea to leave it. What if that room becomes an office or the next owner needs an office?

9. djcubby

djcubby Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    Bondurant
    #9 djcubby, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
    We got an additional line added to our cell account for this very purpose. It's like $10 a month with a free phone. We programmed our numbers and friend's numbers into the phone. Told our friends if you ever get a call from this number, answer it at all costs.

10. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    But then what will the politicians call?? Won't someone think of the politicians!?!

11. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    Girlfriend has one simply because it's free with her other crap from Mediacom. It'll be going away more than likely within the next year.

I still can't believe some brilliant mind at Iowa State decided to keep landlines in Freddy Court versus spending that money on making Freddy wireless. The students who advised that should all have been shot.

12. Angie

Angie square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Female
    IT
    IA
    We had to have one for our internet service for a while, so we got one for the first time in about 8 years. We switched to cable internet, so we just disconnected it again.

If we ever decide to have a babysitter who doesn't have a cell phone (which seems unlikely, we've only ever had family), we'd probably just leave one of our cell phones at home, and show the babysitter how to call the other person's. That is the only need I see for a land line.

13. jbhtexas

jbhtexas Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Arlington, TX
    We got rid of the landline about a year ago had the landline number ported over/added to our cell plan. I bought a used cell phone off of ebay for the line. Since the utilities/financial institutions/etc all had that home number, I didn't want to go through the hassle of changing that number.

Our cordless phone set has a Bluetooth feature that allows it to be paired with a cellphone, so we can still use the cordless phones to answer/call out on the cell phone.

14. Senolcyc

Senolcyc Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    How much do you use your land line? There's your answer.

15. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2007
    I held out for a several years because I need a fax and we have a security alarm. Then ADT finally presented a solution where the security alarm basically runs off of a cellular device they installed and I got an eFax that I share with someone else in my business (it costs about $15/mo between two of us).

I've been without a land line for about 6 months now and have absolutely ZERO regret. In fact prior to this thread, I don't think I even realized it was gone. We rarely used it anyway.

16. BKLYNCyclone

BKLYNCyclone Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Male
    Architect
    Twin Cities, MN
    I use an Obi Hai box. I actually have two of them, one for my home office and one for my home. They work with Google voice and the only cost so far is the cost for the initial hardware (about $40 ea.). They might actually make one now with two lines in it. In any case, I have a low voltage closet and hooked them up to my cable internet router, and tied them into my phone lines. It's like having a land line without paying for it. Also, the google voice messages are transcribed and sent to me via email, which is handy for both home and work. (they can also be set up to forward to you as text messages on your cell phone). Frankly, the only downsides from a traditional landline is a) won't work if the power or cable goes out, and b) I cannot dial 911 on it. If we ever need it, we'll just use our cell phones for the 911.

17. cychhosis

cychhosis Well-Known Member

May 12, 2006
    Retired Teacher
    S.E. Iowa
    Gone for about a year, the wife had the home number switched to her cell phone, so utilities and the like still have us in their systems. No regrets.

18. jbhtexas

jbhtexas Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Arlington, TX
    Within the last year, most of the alarm companies that service the houses in this area have been asking customers to switch to the cellular alarms. Apparently the thieves have figured out that it's pretty simple to walk up to the dmarc box and unplug the phone service.

19. leroycyclone

leroycyclone Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Retired and Happy
    Boulder, CO
    ADT: thanks for the information. That's how my next place will be security protected.

The bundle of telephone, TV and Internet plus ADT is nearly $200/month. Now I can knock off $20-$30/month for the landline that I refused to answer because it was only solicitors at 5:00pm and politicians all day and night.

20. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Yes, I've had no problems with it whatsoever. The cellular box resides inside my home. It will alert you if there is an outage of cellular service and that hasn't happened once since we switched.