Lance Armstrong to go on RAGBRAI again

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CyCloned, Jul 13, 2014.

1. CyCloned

CyCloned Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Accountant
    Robins, Iowa
    Lance Armstrong will be riding part of RAGBRAI this year. Is this a good or bad thing?

I personally think that Lance was given a pretty harsh penalty for cheating in a sport where cheating was almost expected 15 years ago.

2. Mr Janny

Mr Janny Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Staff Member Bookie

Mar 27, 2006
    It's not so much the cheating. It's the years of denying, lying, and smearing of anyone who accused him that I've got a problem with. He earned his penalty.

3. CycloneRulzzz

CycloneRulzzz Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Male
    Nevada, IA

This. The guy is a straight up ****** bag.

4. 00clone

00clone Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2011
    "Before" picture model
    Iowa City area
    I'm trying really hard to care one way or another, but I cannot.

5. 06_CY

06_CY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I don't think it matters either way if he rides or not. If I see him ride past me, ok cool. If he serves me a beer in Rock Valley, ok cool. If I don't see him at all, it won't dampen my week.

6. clone34

clone34 Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Small Business Owner
    Underwood Iowa
    Lance Armstrong did more to cure a disease that is real than 99.999% of the rest of
    the world. I really don't care if he cheated at a race that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I know I would rather have cancer cured than somebody winning a bicycle race.

7. JP4CY

JP4CY Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Sommerset
    Same boat as me. He's ruined some lives for individual gains, and he's also raised millions for other people's health. If he can make restitution with his accusers, it would go a long way.

8. 00clone

00clone Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2011
    "Before" picture model
    Iowa City area

I'm sorry, but I don't recall Lance getting his medical degree. He didn't to **** to cure cancer, he did raise awareness for cancer, which is cool, but he did it on the podium he was afforded by his cheating. I'm sorry about his nut and all, and I applaud him for how he's parlayed his cheating into something worthwhile, but I'll be darned if anyone can convince me I should care if he walks by me any more than I should care if one of you guys walk by me. Honestly, I think if someone told me "Hey, there's Rulzzz", or "Hey, there's Janny"...I'd be more moved than if Lance walked by me.

9. Jambalaya

Jambalaya Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    You're assuming he'll spot you a 50-mile head start that day?:twitcy:

10. Farnsworth

Farnsworth Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Des Moines, IA
    Cancer awareness is great and all to spread the word and help find a cure, but it's not like we weren't all aware of it before Lance as well. If he didn't help collect the money for research, another group would have. So I don't consider that such a pro for him.

11. roundball

roundball Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Iowa City area
    There's a case to be made that all of these high-profile cancer awareness campaigns redirect funding from more severe forms of cancer (people have limited funds to donate, and perhaps they shouldn't be giving so much to a cancer that only has a .8% mortality rate).

There's also the contention that most of the monies raised for cancer research aren't used very effectively.

12. BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
    Student
    Ames
    I am ok with the guy. Other people have cheated in sports and lied about things and didn't get it this bad. The guy tried to do some good things with his fame. All in all I would say his impact on the world has had more positive then negative effect for the masses.

13. benjay

benjay Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    How could it be bad?

14. Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
    Des Moines, IA
    I agree. I was going to post some of that, but didn't want the "high horse" brigade to come hate on me as CF is known to do that.

15. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    After reading his 1st book, I'm not a fan. I don't believe the theory that you have to be an arrogant jerk to be the best at a sport.

16. 88clone

88clone Member

Feb 3, 2014
    None
    West Des Moines
    I actually think what he did was amazing. Have you ever tried to ride a bike on drugs? Not easy to do, let alone win a race. :wink:

17. jbindm

jbindm Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Des Moines
    Meh. He's done some terrible things and some good things. Take it all into account and think about how terrible it would be for people to judge you based solely on the worst thing you ever did. I know, easy for me to say because I wasn't one of the many people he screwed over.

If anything he's just another cautionary tale of athletes and hero worship mentality. Put anyone on a pedestal and sooner or later they'll fall off.

18. Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
    Des Moines, IA
    Dear god please let Freddie balance on that pedestal forever.

19. wxman1

wxman1 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Cedar Rapids
    Wither the French want to admit it or not cheating and drugging was and probably still is rampant in the sport.

Glad he wants to get involved and help. I don't see many cons to him.

20. LutherBlue

LutherBlue Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2006
    I don't believe Livestrong contributes to cancer research. All their money goes to awareness and support for those with the disease and their families. That has been one criticism of the organization -- donors think they are supporting cancer research.