Lag on Mobile makes the site innoperable

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and Support' started by Judoka, Feb 22, 2017.

1. CtownCyclone

CtownCyclone Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Project Engineer
    Where they love the governor
    I was going to type out "no issues" from my Android, but then I started typing.

Looks like no issues for me just browsing the site, but trying to post is horrendous.

2. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member Bookie

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    I made changes to the entire thing since then.

3. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member Bookie

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    According to all of the testing we have done it's the ads, but we continue to look into everything.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Clonehomer

Clonehomer Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Yep. Turning off JavaScript on Android makes the site load extremely fast. I downloaded the chrome beta and keep Java off for this site. I then use normal chrome for everything else. Don't get all the features, but you can read and respond just fine.

5. CloneinWDSM

CloneinWDSM Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Male
    My iPhone 7 works perfectly ever since you made changes a few months ago. All I use is mobile and never have issues.

6. kilroy

kilroy Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Professional Land Surveyor
    hills to flat lands
    Clonehomer, great JavaScript thinking.

If i turn off js i can use the mobile site.
    If i leave js on i CANT type this response.
    If js left on, i can scroll but really jerky.

7. Pat

Pat Active Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I have JS on in Safari, so, in and of itself, that's not the problem. I think we've pretty clearly determined the issue to be the flash video ads. Chris, we'll send an invoice.

Seriously, though, I'm sorry you have to deal with the current ad economy, Chris. What a disaster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. zarnold56

zarnold56 Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2009
    The issue I see is when I try typing a reply, the lag there is terrible. Samsung Galaxy 7 with chrome. Browsing is usually ok, just issues with as ads load threads change position and I hit the wrong one.

9. CTTB78

CTTB78 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Don't rain on all the paysite work prep that has already been done. The Marketing dept. has spoken.

10. Clonehomer

Clonehomer Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Whether JS is the root cause or not, it fixes the issue with Chrome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Skyh13

Skyh13 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2006
    It always seemed that the redesign was VERY javascript heavy, and that it might have been contributing to the issues on mobile. Chrome has a very good javascript engine, but if something is implemented poorly you'll see the performance hit on mobile moreso than on on the desktop.
    I've wondered about this but never tried it, assuming that the site would be inoperable without javascript. Also, javascript is such a big part of the modern web, it's a shame to disable it.

Also, you can't blame it on "Flash ads" just because it works better on Apple -- flash isn't supported on Android browsers either. Video-based ads could still be an issue, but I'm fairly confident it isn't Flash.

Back to the javascript thing, the ad systems rely heavily on javascript to load content, so if javascript is blocked I wonder if that's simply a red herring since the ads aren't being loaded, or if that's the real root cause -- that the javascript just needs to be cleaned up.

12. zmanzbo

zmanzbo Active Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Thanks to whoever suggested the browser to turn off Java script. That did it. Miss some features but extremely fast now via the period browser.

Still sad I have to have a completely different browser for 1 website I go to. Hahaha