Ladies Are a 9

Discussion in 'Women's Basketball' started by carvers4math, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Tornado man

Tornado man Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    UNI was a surprise team in the tournament - no one had them in. So if the committee thought enough of the MVC that they put two teams in, it seems ridiculous that the undefeated and tourney champs, who won the league by 3 games, and beat UNI three times, is the same seed at #10. Bizarre.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. NWICY

NWICY Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    That was a fun game in Cincinnati:). Too bad Georgia had those twins to beat us in the next game.

3. NWICY

NWICY Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Good luck in the tourney Gee. Both teams until they would bump into us;).

4. CTTB78

CTTB78 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2006
    They're busy. They have NIT games to watch.

5. BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Living the Dream
    Minnesota
    Getting notice and commented on at ESPN:

Drake vs. Northern Iowa: If regular-season performance within league play did matter, it's difficult to rationalize the committee's decision to have Northern Iowa and Drake both on the No. 10 line. UNI's inclusion in the field over a team like Virginia was puzzling enough, but if the committee considered the Missouri Valley Conference -- as the 16th-rated RPI conference -- strong enough for two teams, then the league's unbeaten regular-season and tournament champion deserved a better seed than a No. 10 -- and certainly better than its distant second-place finisher.

Drake finished three games ahead of the Panthers in the Missouri Valley season and beat Northern Iowa three times. It's possible that the Bulldogs were considered the best No. 10 seed and Northern Iowa the worst, but that's still too close for two teams that weren't that close all season. Perhaps the committee was mesmerized by UNI's performance in Sunday's MVC tournament title game, which wasn't decided until overtime. Yes, UNI beat Kansas State and Creighton in the nonconference, but that doesn't make up for the head-to-head or conference discrepancy. "Body of work" has to also include conference play, but it seemed to be forgotten here.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18894585/puzzling-decisions-sprinkled-women-ncaa-tournament-bracket

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Living the Dream
    Minnesota
    #46 BoxsterCy, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    And California? WTF, 6-12 in the PAC 12 and lost five of six to finish. Yup, 6-12 and they are in the dance. Totes bull ****. Guess the field is uber weak, maybe they should drop back to 48 teams.

7. runbikeswim

runbikeswim Active Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Charlie Creme seemed most upset by this. I can't believe their in either. Noncon played too much in committee this year I think.

8. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Male
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    UCONN will most likely be a blood bath, but hey once in awhile there are David and Goliath stories.

9. cyrocksmypants

cyrocksmypants Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Being Totally Awesome
    Honolulu, HI
    The ISU ladies are always a 10 in my eyes.

10. Clonefan32

Clonefan32 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    It's really bad for the sport that the Women's NCAA tournament has become the how-far-can-we-advance-before-we-would-lose-to-UCONN Invitational. Historic stuff they are doing, and good for them, but it doesn't make for real captivating games.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. BCClone

BCClone Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    North Iowa

Always thought a dominating team at any sport is what kills off interest in it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. kcdc4isu

kcdc4isu Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Male
    retired
    west of dm east of cb
    March 20, 1999 remember that date

• Like Like x 2
  13. gizzsdad

gizzsdad Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Agreed. There is currently a documentary series on UConn running on HBO. I'd have say watching it has softened me a little on Geno. I don't think there's any question that, as other programs have scrambled to keep up, they have jointly lifted the level of WBB.

I suspect that their dominance will continue until Geno retires, much as when John Wooden retired from UCLA.

14. Cyched

Cyched Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Ames
    They have to get past Albany first.

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Male
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny

But was UConn then the UConn they are now?

16. Buster28

Buster28 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Male
    Ames
    Cal has no business being in the field of 64. As much as I am a fan of my #2 university's programs, I can't justify their being in after the way they played the second half of their season. They set a school record, starting 13-0, then virtually nothing.

UNI probably shouldn't be there either, honestly. But I DO love the fact that Iowa is the only school from this state to not make it in. So, congrats to Tanya Warren and her group, regardless.

Anymore, the women's tournament is rendered meaningless with UCONN being so dominant. Have had many conversations with people who believe it's GOOD for WBB to have them win every title. My response is always "why?" What's the point of having the tournament if you already know who's going to win? That being said, UCONN did get three games this season that were a margin of 6 points or less (Maryland, Temple (!), and Florida State). Maryland is in their region this year. Maybe Brenda can take them out if she gets a second chance. I haven't watched a title game in several years because there really isn't much of a point to it these days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. runbikeswim

runbikeswim Active Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Losing Pat Summit really hurt women's basketball.

While Geno is arguably the best coach, he didn't get to where he is by always playing within the rules in recruiting.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tornado man

Tornado man Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    Well, I for one love watching UConn play - their effort, precision, teamwork - all levels above the other teams'. Also like watching Oregon State.
    Maryland plays thugball - sorry not my style.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
    Male
    retired
    west of dm east of cb

link??

20. kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
    Male
    retired
    west of dm east of cb
    They were 29-4 going into our game and had lost to:Tenn, LA Tech,Boston College and Old Dominion so you judge were they any good then.