LA Times-Iowa State Penalties

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by loboclone, Oct 24, 2007.

1. loboclone

loboclone Member

Aug 8, 2006
    Western Sales Manager
    Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Escaped the So Cal fires yesterday and picked up LA Times at airport..............Iowa State out of Bottom 10 due to OU effort However they had a post script, ISU least penalties in the NCAA/game.

Who would have thought the Clones are least penalized team in College football! In spite of 1-7 record, these guys are being coached.

2. ajk4st8

ajk4st8 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Ankeny
    wow good find.

3. cloneu

cloneu Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Financial Analyst
    Urbandale
    They have been at the top for several weeks now. Hopefully it will continue in the years to come as they start winning more games.

4. cmoneyr

cmoneyr Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2006
    IT
    Ames, Born and Raised
    I think this speaks volumes for the discipline of the players, and for the coaches. Definitely a good building block to start from, start with the basics and work from there. It would be very easy for a team who is struggling to have a lot of stupid, selfish penalties, way to go Chizik IMO.

5. price26

price26 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2006
    CyRide Driver
    Ames, IA
    Could be that there are just not a lot of opportunities for penalties in that the defense isn't aggressive enough (i.e. pass interference, encroachment trying to guess snap counts) or that the offense isn't creative enough (i.e. illegal shifts).

But then again, at least we don't pick up stupid penalties like personal fouls (even though that roughing the passer penalty was crap) or we don't have a lot of false starts, which often causes a lot of teams to rack up penalties and yards.

6. jumbopackage

jumbopackage Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Interesting article in the rag about just that.

7. mwitt

mwitt Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    I'm pretty sure we were pretty solid with penalties last year, too.

8. cmoneyr

cmoneyr Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2006
    IT
    Ames, Born and Raised
    I agree we're not all that agressive. But I also think if you're going to rebuild a team into a winner you have to start by teaching smart football. Nothing kills a teams chances faster than penalties, maybe turnovers, but one thing at a time folks. :wink:

9. Splendid

Splendid Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Des Moines
    I think this is the type of good news to keep us coming back again next season. To lead the nation in anything is not easy, especially when we killed ourselves that first game against Kent State with all those proceedure calls. How many times were we first and 15 that game and it ended up costing us a win? Way to go Coach McFarland, keep making small victories.

10. tejasclone

tejasclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Technical Writer
    Austin, TX
    As a comparison, Kansas State gets all kinds of penalties. I remember in that season opener against Auburn they had like 14 or 15 penalties for almost 200 yards (or something, I'm too lazy to look it up).

I'm glad we play smart and disciplined. That's something we can hang our hat on as we move forward (cuz we got to have something, right?).

11. minnclone99

minnclone99 Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Rompots
    I don't know the stats, but I'd throw down a few bucks that we weren't the best for the first couple of games... I seem to recall a lot of penalties early on. If true, than even better news.