L.A. Tastes Great, or Less Filling?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by Aclone, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    It's midseason, so I guess that I was wondering about L.A. Pomlee's progress in practice--it has to be a huge asset to have CB to practice against, and I hope he's soaking up the lessons. Does anyone have a practice report?

It becomes more important next season, whether CB leaves or not, but if Bracking is n the NBA, Pomlee could become a focal point down low, especially on defense (and rebounding).

Just curious, is L.A.'s base athleticism (running, jumping, quickness) in practice comparable to Brackins'?

2. cybsball20

cybsball20 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Financial Analyst
    Des Moines, IA
    I'd be interested in seeing his progress in the weight room...

3. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    That too, but to my understanding, L.A. was really raw offensively. Of course, the Kelvin Cato school of offense (go hard to the hole and dunk everything) has it's own innate value.

4. cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
    Financial Analyst
    Des Moines, IA
    Joey Dorsey was really raw offensively and if LA can be half the player he was I will be really happy...

5. cycloneman003

cycloneman003 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Student
    Clive
    i think LA will be a really though/physical defender and rebounder. next season his offense still wont quite be there, because he really cant step out very far at all, but could complement CB very nicely inside next year. LA does all the dirty work while Craig pours in the buckets.

6. JP4CY

JP4CY Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Sommerset
    If I was ever close to the court I'd make sure to keep my eyes open with Cato. You never knew on defense when you'd see him swat a ball into the crowd.

7. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    I suspect that Hamilton+Pomlee=Dorsey+???, but that's "someday". The real question is "how soon?"

And L.A. will be playing in a conference with competent big men--unlike Dorsey. :biggrin:

8. cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
    Financial Analyst
    Des Moines, IA
    Dorsey also held his own against one of the toughest non conference shedules ever... Hamilton has nothing to do with what I want from Pomlee, they are totally different. I want to see Pomlee be the strongest guy on the floor, every game, to make up for his lack of height... IF he is able to force post guys out 10-12 feet (Like Iowa did to Brackins) it will make all the difference...

9. ce1

ce1 Active Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Minnesota
    What i'd really like is to get L.A. to the point where he can play like Stevie Johnson or Kenny Pratt...be a rebounding *machine*, a low-post immovable object, and capable of cleaning up the garbage around the rim, offensively. And being a bad-*** while doing it.

If he can provide that type of low-post presence, he'll fit a role perfectly and be a valuable player. Even if he doesn't have a consistent 12 foot shot.

10. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Kenny Pratt was much more than a garbage time scoring threat. He has some assume post moves and could get his shot off against almost anyone.

11. nhclone

nhclone Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2008
    I don't know how his progression is coming this year, but "raw" doesnt begin to describe his skillset coming in. I watched him play for the Martin Bros. AAU team last summer and he is probably one of the best atheletes I have ever seen in high school basketball. The only problem is that he didn't really look like a basketball player. He had a couple really big dunks just based on pure atheletisism but he was not remotely a threat on O for the most part and his D was nothing to get excited about. He got pushed around for much of the game but the guys he was guarding on both ends of the court. He did also have a couple big blocks with his jumping ability overcoming positioning. He definetely has some work to do in bulking up and the mental aspect of basketball but he is full of potential.

12. Ficklone02

Ficklone02 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    CPA
    City by the Bay
    Makes a lot of sense.

Curiously, this is what I was hoping Mann would provide this year. After seeing how he fits into our rotation this year, I'm wondering if Coach regrets not redshirting him.

13. cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
    Financial Analyst
    Des Moines, IA
    Mann is too small to play that role. Pomlee is what 6'7" I would give Mann 6'4" 6'5" at best. I stood right next to him (I'm 6'5")and could see that I was taller. Mann also just seems out of place and akward. I still wouldn't be suprsed to see him transfer and I think thats why he wasn't redshirted.

14. tman24

tman24 Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2008
    mann does just seem out of place

15. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    That's what she said.

16. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    I was just saying that Hamilton and Pomlee should be a better combo that Dorsey and 'anybody' were, because Dorsey never had much help underneath.

Big hops also make up for a lack of height, and Dorsey didn't have 'em, Pomlee does. If he's 6-8, and can rebound anything like James at Texas, or Kansas' Darrell Arthur, I'd be happy.

Pomlee wouldn't have to be the big space eater, that looks to be Hamilton's role.

17. Ficklone02

Ficklone02 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    CPA
    City by the Bay
    Looking at him I agree....however, listening to what McD always said about him when people on the call-in show would ask about Mann he would say that Mann was going to give us a physical presence and inside "nastiness" that we didn't have on the team last year. So, in actually seeing him play I'm having a hard time reconciling this with what McD's comments about him.

18. Clones85'

Clones85' Just Win Baby

Jan 31, 2007
    Dorsey didn't have big hops? What Memphis team where you watching?

19. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    The one where Dorsey had decent hops, but it wasn't his primary asset. :biggrin:

20. Clones85'

Clones85' Just Win Baby

Jan 31, 2007
    They guy had 250 blocks in his career. He is very athletic. Hopefully Pomlee has hops like him