Kind of lost in the moment

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by down2cyz, Feb 9, 2014.

1. down2cyz

down2cyz Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Despite Melvin's tremendous game was the lackadaisical effort from the rest of the team yesterday. I think after the emotionally draining OSU game, you could kind of see it coming against TCU. A few of us in the stands even remarked how they were just going through the motions. Going to need a better effort in Morgantown. I have no doubt they will.

2. atlantacyclone

atlantacyclone Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Real Estate
    Fontvieille Monaco
    Better effort sounds good I suppose....

3. hexodat64

hexodat64 Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Ames, IA and MN
    It's kinda fun to be mad we only won by 15 in a conference game huh? I agree though, but I know we will be ready to play tomorrow.

4. bostrem00

bostrem00 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    ISU Post-grad Warrior
    Johnston
    It was good enough to win by double digits in a conference game....not sure how you could quantify your issue...

5. AirWalke

AirWalke Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Des Moines
    It's not like the rest of the team was incapable of scoring. It was pretty clear they started feeding Ejim the ball when they themselves could have gotten the points pretty easily.

6. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

I would just say they weren't sharp in all aspects. Completely natural to mentally take a breath after a brutal stretch when you are facing an "easier" team.

7. kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Madison, WI
    the few of you in the stands should just stfu, enjoy a great win, and stop being ********.

8. jsb

jsb Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2008
    The defense was bad in the second half. I'll get over it.

The first 9 games were hell. This was ripe for a letdown game and while things weren't super smooth, the game really never was in doubt.

9. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

I pictured a really big guy with a palm on a little guy's head while he flailed away .

10. 00clone

00clone Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2011
    "Before" picture model
    Iowa City area
    :rolleyes: Great, another one looking for the pot of sh** at the wrong end of the rainbow.

11. ISU_phoria

ISU_phoria Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Construction Project Mana
    Andover, MN
    The reality is there is no way a team can always "get up" and be jacked for every game. The key is to be able to find a way to win against "lesser" opponents even when you're not at 100% "up for the game."

12. CynadoAlley

CynadoAlley Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Seed Salesman
    Akron, IA
    I wasn't mad by any means, but was reminded of the movie Semi-Pro, when towards the beginning they would make a basket, then celebrate at halfcourt, and you could see the other team behind them getting an easy transition layup. I thought of that towards the end when we were trading buckets.

I was also reminded of that movie when we started throwing up like 50 alley-oops. It was like Melvin's mom came to him in a dream during halftime and taught him the ways of the alley-oop. All that was missing was father Pat.

13. madguy30

madguy30 Active Member

Nov 15, 2011
    They seemed to get that 10-13 point lead, and coast from there. The final margin of score was about what I figured it would be.

The game itself just didn't seem to have much energy--it's like that sometimes.

A solid Pitt team had to get through 2 OT's to beat 8-15 Va Tech at home yesterday, so it could've been worse.

14. CarlHungus

CarlHungus Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Mortgage
    Ankeny
    The other guys were struggling to hit shots, but they still found other ways to contribute. Kane ended up with 10 assists and Georges filled up the stat sheet with 11 points, 6 boards, and 6 assists

15. TXCyclones

TXCyclones Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    TX
    One thing you will find with a coach who has been in the pros, they know that different players get hot on different nights. This doesn't mean others are lazy. It means they recognize and assist. And they know if the need changes that somebody else can step up. So back off.

16. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Haven't seen it yet, but the clips make it look like an All-Star Game level of intensity, because they could.

17. Cyientist

Cyientist Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Ankeny
    Could have been worse, we could have managed to lose the triple OT, and then drop the next game against the 2nd least talented Big 12 team.

18. im4cyclones

im4cyclones Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Ames, IA
    The only game I would say they really played great was Baylor. They have a knack at playing near the level of the competition. Just above their competition, for the most part. Aside from Baylor, what conference game would you say they played great? Maybe @KU? I did not see the OU game in Hilton so perhaps they played well in that one.

19. CyCloned

CyCloned Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Accountant
    Robins, Iowa
    I thought that the team was a little flat, but the big thing is that they shot terrible in the second half, except for ME of course. Matt T was 1 for 7 from 3 points and most of those were good shots. If he makes 4 or 5 of those the game is the laugher we expected. Also, not sure what TCU shots from the outside usually, but it seemed like they made a great percentage of 3 pointers in the second half to keep them in the game. I know the defense is not great for ISU, but they did have someone close on most of those shots.

20. CyberJJJ

CyberJJJ Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Male
    Sales & Marketing
    Johnston, IA
    I think the OP post is crap. I will give you that our defensive effort yesterday was not up to snuff. However, this team, and I repeat TEAM, had 27 assists on 32 buckets. Last I knew, there is no assist stat when you throw it to yourself. Do you realize our PG tandem had 17 assists yesterday (on only 4 turnovers)? I think it is a pretty cool statement on the tightness of this team that here is Deondre, a candidate for 1st string all Big 12 (maybe a lock as Smart self destructs) and potentially All American, and he only takes 4 shots all day, passing up opportunities to score to feed Mel the ball. I am taking nothing away from Mel, but I don't think you have to diss the effort of the rest of the team to build Mel up. He worked his butt off, as the 18 boards show.