Keeping the best talent in the state

Discussion in 'Football' started by besserheimerphat, Feb 4, 2011.

1. besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Product Engineer
    Mount Vernon, WA
  2. cytheguy

cytheguy Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    Rivals had two 4-star recruits from Iowa:

Christian French - Oregon
    Austin Blythe - Iowa

3. jsmith86

jsmith86 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Cedar Rapids
    You have to wonder how florida grows so many 4 and 5 star players. I'd have thought Texas would have been a little closer in terms of number of stars from the state, but a difference of almost 100? Wow.

4. brett108

brett108 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    Chemical Engineer
    Borger, TX
    Florida is one of the most populous states in the nation, but I also think the evaluators favor Florida simply because they expect to find a bunch of 4-5 star guys. If you think someone should be real good, you can convince yourself that they are. You can find good players elsewhere, but population, reputation, and culture will almost always ensure that Florida, Texas, and California are well scouted.

5. besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Product Engineer
    Mount Vernon, WA
    I believe those states also have high school spring football. It's much easier to evaluate talent when you can actually go watch the kids practice live in Feb/March. Not to mention the fact that they get a few extra weeks of practice each year which, from junior high through high school, probably has a large cumulative effect.

I did notice that the article failed to mention which scouting service they used to determine how many stars each player was.

Also, the difference between Florida and Texas is 100 stars, not 100 players. So it's actually (20) 5 star players or (25) 4 star players, or some combination.