Katz' Quickie Synopsis on K-State v I-State

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by Max57, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Max57

Max57 Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Somewhere on Hwy 30
    Katz:

Iowa State at Kansas State (1:30 ET, ESPN3): Wins at Baylor and Missouri have changed the complexion of Kansas State’s season. The Wildcats have finally finished games by playing smart in the final possessions. Iowa State has a tough slate to finish the season with games at Kansas State, Missouri and then hosting Baylor. Not an easy road for a bubble team.

Breaking down this weekend's top games - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

Not much there and my apologies if this was already posted.

2. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    My heart hopes

ISU 74
    KSU 68

My gut says

KSU 75
    ISU62

• Like Like x 1
  3. MNCyGuy

MNCyGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Des Moines
    Let's just win this one and put the bubble talk to rest.

4. tejasclone

tejasclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Technical Writer
    Austin, TX
    Hey, quickies are supposed to be short and to the point.

• Like Like x 2
  5. heitclone

heitclone Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Male
    Recreation Therapist
    Malvern, IA
    Kstate really let the game in Ames slip away, and they've been playing tough as of late. I see it as either a letdown game for them that we can knock them off or see them playing tough for revenge.

6. CycloneWarning

CycloneWarning Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Yea, not much there from Katz, whom I generally like.

But his reference to us as a potential bubble team is spot on. Those that think we can afford to lose 4 games in a row and make the tourney are flat out foolish. We might, but to call us a lock already is spitting in karma's face.

Good news is that I feel good about payback for Baylor, and hope we can steal one of the next two.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Yes13

Yes13 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Why does it always have to be a let down for the other team? Why can't we realize our team is good?

8. Cyrok

Cyrok Member

Oct 14, 2009
    DSM
    I feel better about our chances of winning @Missouri than I do about @KSU and Baylor at home.

9. Less of a let down when the team does't do as well as expected, I suppose.

10. wonkadog

wonkadog Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Ames, IA
    Please justify the Baylor at home part of this.

11. Max57

Max57 Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Somewhere on Hwy 30
    And further in the category of "we already knew that ..."

From Frank Martin:

On Saturday’s game with Iowa State…
    “You have to win at home. We have lost three times here and that is not acceptable. In all three games, we were right there to win and we just did not get it done. You cannot lose at home. If you want to be a good team, you cannot give up games at home and we cannot lose anymore. Iowa State is a problem. They are a good basketball team. They have guys that have been around: (Scott) Chirstopherson is a fifth-year senior, Royce White is a third-year sophomore, Chris Babb is a fourth-year junior. They have guys that have played high-major basketball and they have played a lot of minutes and they are extremely experienced. We have to deal with it. They are really good. They do not foul; they are one of the teams, who foul the least in the country. Offensively, they are extremely efficient. I was happy with how we defended them up there and it was a problem to get stops coming down the stretch. They have really good players and Fred (Hoiberg) has done an unbelievably good job of coaching them and creating a structure for that team to be good. We have our hands full because it is never an easy outing in the Big 12.”

12. Clones85'

Clones85' Just Win Baby

Jan 31, 2007
    I think we match up great with Kansas State. I really do. Now the question becomes if we can stay mentally strong?

13. cyclones500

cyclones500 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Male
    writer/editor
    Michigan
    I'm almost the complete opposite.

Baylor as top chance, Missouri least likely.

Any of them are winnable.

I'd honestly prefer not to have to "wait" to beat Baylor to seal the deal.

Think about how beating KSU this weekend would look much more impressive than if it happened a week earlier. It isn't truly a big difference, playing by numbers, but the timing is better.

14. Cyforce

Cyforce Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Des Moines
    It's going to come down to foul trouble for us, mainly RW. We know how they'll play but not as much will be called on them at home. If we get frustrated like Ejim the other day we will be in serious trouble.

2 years ago we won in overtime with CB on the bench, I doubt we can do that without RW.

15. wonkadog

wonkadog Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Ames, IA
    Frank must not be listening to the "experts." Apparently you can lose all you want at home because those games are disregarded in the selection process. Oh yeah, and beating teams that aren't in the top 10 on the road doesn't count either. Good thing KSU got that win at Mizzou or they'd be screwed.

16. LegendofRodA

LegendofRodA Active Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Des Moines
    Agree. Anyone who thinks our best chance to win is @ Missouri is delusional. They just lost their 1st game at home all season this week to KSU (a team that handed them a loss earlier in the year). Plus we don't math up well with them IMO because of their guard play and not to mention they already beat us in our place.

Some people take too much from that Baylor game that they handed us our worst loss on the year and therefore they are our worst matchup. But if you consider that they shot exceptionaly well and were in desperate need of a win (after losing 2 in a row) and at home, I think the circumstances will be much different when they come to Ames.

17. atlantacyclone

atlantacyclone Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Real Estate
    Fontvieille Monaco
    I still don't understand how a team like Wisconsin is a lock and ISU is a bubble team.... Wish we could have Drake and UNI back!

18. CyLoboClone

CyLoboClone Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Albuquerque
    I'm glad I saw this thread because the time of the game is way off in the cf iPhone app's schedule.

19. ISUCyclone06

ISUCyclone06 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Quality
    Greensboro, NC
    People only look at the final score. We played Baylor tough but had to go to full court press at the end and got Burnt many times. Otherwise that game is well under 10 and no one talks about it.

20. Yes13

Yes13 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    The Missouri game was also close. If I remember right that was the game that our FT shooting bit us.