K-State fan starts early

Discussion in 'Big XII Conference' started by geek4cy, Feb 14, 2012.

1. SuperCy

SuperCy Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Superhero. Founding memb
    Smallville/Metropolis
    I saw this and I loved it.

2. Cyclonestate78

Cyclonestate78 Well-Known Member

May 23, 2008
    The teacher was obviously a bitter KU fan. I imagine there are a lot of hok fans that are teachers that would act the same way. Probably why the overall quality of education in Iowa is trending down.

At least we can take comfort in the fact that there are several Clone fans on this site that are teachers and who continue to fight the good fight. :yes:

3. nj829

nj829 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Northwest Arkansas
    I had tears in my eyes reading the mom's blog it was so funny. I also have a 5 year old girl that I could picture doing the same to her teacher if asked to color a certain Iowa mascot. Thankfully we do not live in state so we won't have that issue, but I love that the parents are raising their kid to be proud of the school and understand what a rivalry is all about. None of this feel-good happy go lucky I root for the other school when not playing us.

4. Hawkeye11en1

Hawkeye11en1 Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Colorado
    That kids got a hot mom. Yes please.

5. bostrem00

bostrem00 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    ISU Post-grad Warrior
    Johnston
  6. Naughtius

Naughtius Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Central IA
    Agreed that the teacher/school was in the wrong to not give kids an alternative to color, especially when it comes to in-state rivals. (This probabably wouldn't be a story in a state like MN w/no real in-state rivals).

But does anyone else think the girl needs a little bit more perspective? Why is the girl so passionate about a school she has not attended? My wife and I are both ISU alum, and we generally root against the Hawkeyes. But I would be mortified if my kids reacted this way.

7. stateofmind

stateofmind Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Male
    IT
    Ankeny
    This!

8. CyBer

CyBer Guest

That kid chose the wrong school.

9. SplitIdentity

SplitIdentity Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Student, future teacher
    Ames
    It's just coloring a picture in kindergarten.

10. snowcraig2.0

snowcraig2.0 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Male
    Engineer
    Cedar Rapids, IA

link?

11. CyBer

CyBer Guest

Don't use logic hawkcry.

12. 2Xclone

2Xclone Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    It's a 5 year old. They sometimes act like this. The mom handled it well, she didn't just let it slide.

13. greatshu

greatshu Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2007
    KS
    Teacher should have done something more neutral. Like color map of Kansas or something.

14. CycoCyclone

CycoCyclone Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Male
    Business Analyst
    Urbandale
    I find it totally inappropriate that the teacher's response was SO negative. Find SOMETHING ELSE for the girl to color.

15. PabloDiablo

PabloDiablo Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Physical Therapist
    Omaha, NE
    Agreed, who is the bigger 5 year old, Emma or the teacher? Geez, find a flippin power cat you Jayhawk turd! :smile:

16. The_Architect

The_Architect Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
    Yes, yes she does.

17. Boxerdaddy

Boxerdaddy Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Beaverdale, IA
    [​IMG]

18. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Absolutely. It is the teacher who should be reprimanded, not the child. If the teacher told her that today the whole class is coloring a Jayhawk and tomorrow the whole class will be coloring a Wildcat, I might be a little more sympathetic. I don't think it is appropriate for a teacher to be indoctrinating grade school students in college loyalties. When they have college spirit days at my kid's school my daughter wears Cyclone gear if she wants to and even though this is Gopher country they better be okay with that.

And yes, I don't think that a teacher should be demanding that Ames school kids have to do Cyclone projects either. If a kid supports another school and feels strongly about it, they should have the right to an alternate project.

19. 00clone

00clone Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2011
    "Before" picture model
    Iowa City area
    On one hand, I don't know why the teacher didn't compromise, and let her color the Jayhawk purple. They're just purple Kansas anyway.

:wideeyed:

On the other hand, I don't get the inclusion of the Jayhawk anyway. Sounds like it was a "learn about Kansas" activity. Kansas is the Sunflower state, it's not like Iowa, where it is officially (begrudgingly) the Hawkeye state. Jayhawk is not the state bird or animal. As mom said on her blog, the only Kansas (the state) plausible reason for the Jayhawk would be historical, the Jayhawkers, and that's not appropriate for kindergartners.

Although, I suspect that the teacher's reaction was more about the refusal than Jayhawk/Wildcat. Kindergarten teachers have a whole different mindset. It's first and foremost about keeping order. Allowing kids to do something else because they don't want to do something is asking for future issues.

In the end, it's a funny little slice of life story.

• Like Like x 1