Jamie Pollard's Status at ISU

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cyclonepower02, Jan 17, 2009.

1. cyclonepower02

Jan 16, 2009
    Ames, IA
    What more has to go wrong for ISU before Pollard gets canned?

I mean, I like the changes he has made for us, but it really comes down to winning, and correct me if I'm wrong - but I don't think ISU has had a winning season in Mens B-Ball for Football since his arrival.

I'm almost certain he could get fired if Rhodes doesn't do anything special. And if McD doesnt step up in basketball...well, you see what I'm getting at.

I realize Pollard has a great relationship with the Prez, but don't you think Pollard will be off to another school if he finds success here anyways?

Some opinions on Pollard would be great.

2. cyclonepower02

Jan 16, 2009
    Ames, IA
    someone needs to reply, i think a lot of people have opinions about this

3. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    He is in good status. Until he has to fire a coach.

4. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    You like to stir things up, don't you? :)

5. cyclonepower02

Jan 16, 2009
    Ames, IA
    What can I say? I like seeing people argue. That's why my favorite shows are PTI and Around the Horn.

6. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica

Makes sense.

7. jbhtexas

jbhtexas Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Arlington, TX
    You could just read through any of the other ten bazillion other threads on the subject. In fact, if I weren't heading off to bed, and I put my mind to it, I could probably tell you from memory how 20 or so of the posters here feel about the subject...

8. SpokaneCY

SpokaneCY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Manager of Natural Gas
    Spokane, WA
    "Highbrow" and ADD - great combo.

9. CyCrazy

CyCrazy Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Asst. Super.
    Roland
    Pollard is in it for the long haul, Rhoads will get all the time he needs to do something because it is realistic we wont be going to a bowl for maybe four to five years. But if MCD cant get it done he might be in trouble because it will be MCD, Chizedick, and the firing off MAC, with no results to follow those decisions

10. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Management/Sales
    Hudson, Iowa
    It's after midnight. Most people are sleeping or in the busy with their date:wink:

JP's had some tough luck. No doubt about it.

I think the decisions he's made are long term ones. It's kind of like going to college and getting a job. Some people are like Bill Gates and drop out and still do fine, while most people it takes year to really win the game.

I do think Coach Rhoads is the make or break hire for JP. If he does well, Jamie moves on to bigger and better things. If he does not he gets let go and the future is not bright for ISU athletics in general:sad:

Let's hope he's right about this guy...

11. Gordyo5

Gordyo5 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Glenwood / Ames
    As poorly as we have been doing in mens basketball and football, we have been that much better in the other sports. I know that those are the two money makers and maybe the most important, but the success in almost every other sport has to mean something.

12. cyclonepower02

Jan 16, 2009
    Ames, IA
    i thought about that when writing this and your completely right. but i dont know how much people care about wrestling, volleyball, gymnastics, or womans basketball.

13. Klonz

Klonz Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Project Manager
    Grimes, IA
    Losing Pollard would set things back I believe... we need consistent leadership, not another shake-up with a new guy's new direction, etc...

He's raising lots of money, building facilities, upgrading coaches in many sports, and really selling the Iowa State brand.

I hope he stays for a very long time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. cyclonepower02

Jan 16, 2009
    Ames, IA
    mccarney needed to go? he got us to the only bowl games we've ever been in. look what chizick did. id take mccarney over chizick any day.

pollard is a great AD, he just isnt winning. and thats a fact my friend.

15. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    Next thing we know, this guy's gonna start a thread about the existence of jackalopes, or how much he likes watermelons.

16. CompCy

CompCy Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Paradigm Shifter
    Ames
    college athletics is a business. Jamie Pollard is a business man. So far he has increased revenue even without the winning teams. So I would say he is in good standing. If revenue drops and Pollard can't do anything about it, then we need to start talking about how bad he is.

17. cyclonepower02

Jan 16, 2009
    Ames, IA
    i will admit, watermelons are quite tasty

18. HILLCYD

HILLCYD Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Better yet jackamelons and waterlopes.

19. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Management/Sales
    Hudson, Iowa
    You should do a little research before saying things like that.

Yes ISU has played in other bowls besides most of the toilet bowls we went to with Danny Mac. The Liberty Bowl in the 70's was a big one when there were about 1/3 as many bowls as you find today.

I've always like Dan McCarney and supported him, but it was time for a change. Year 2 of McCarney in Ames was not any better then Coach Chizik. As a matter of fact year 5 of Dan McCarney wasn't much better. No fair comparing the two. Chizik was laying a foundation and left before anything could be proven.

20. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    As tasty as cereal for dinner, or spaghetti for breakfast?