Jackson suspends Andrew Long

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by ChrisMWilliams, Apr 19, 2010.

1. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member Bookie

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
  2. Clonegrad07

Clonegrad07 Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Indiana
    Sounds like things we did in college... but he really needs to keep his nose clean. Unfortunately, college athletes can't be the same type of idiot the rest of us are in college.

3. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    And the off season continues.

4. Clonehomer

Clonehomer Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I think this is the right move. Long's only a Freshman so he needs to get the message now. I would have would like to see him sit until after winter break, but hopefully this does the job.

5. GoCubsGo

GoCubsGo Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Still don't understand how a police officer was able to catch him once he started running...

6. josh777

josh777 Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Wonder if that 10% will cover the Iowa match?

7. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    The definition of "running" is VERY loose here. :wink:

8. hawkeyescott

hawkeyescott Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2008
    If next year's schedule is similar to last year's he should be back for Iowa. ISU only had 15 dual meets last year so he would miss the first dual against no one then probably miss the Harold Nichols Open and come back which would be the Iowa dual as he wouldn't go to the Omaha Open, that is more for the one's redshirting and wrestling unattached.

Saying he is suspended 10% of the matches is actually a pretty light punishment IMO, if KJ wanted to really send a message then he shouldn't let him come back until after the Midlands when the Big 12 season gets started and he would still be able to wrestle in the National Duals as well.

9. EYE4CY

EYE4CY Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Im shocked the NCAA hasnt stepped in and mandated something. Once, they let it go, twice they should be pretty interested with him.

10. GoCubsGo

GoCubsGo Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    I'm not sure, but I don't think the NCAA's jurisidiction extends that far. Recruiting improprieties and academic eligibility, yes. More "routine" college issues like getting drunk and running from the cops, no.

11. illinoiscyclone

illinoiscyclone Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Student
    Ames
    Interesting note: people on themat.com are actually defending Long, moreso than I would anyway.

12. cykitt

cykitt Member

Sep 20, 2007
    The paper does say that Jackson said that he will add on if he feels the need to...
    Guessing that if Long isn't working his butt of in the room in the summer and fall, Jackson may add some more.

Winter Break would probably be the best punishment, but if he hard on himself in the room then may 10% is all it is gonna to take straighten out Long.

13. Cyclone62

Cyclone62 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Oldpeopleville
    Winter Break is half the season. No way that punishment would fly. The kid ****ed up, but we'd be stupid to go over the top to Long. You just don't take the 2 kid in the nation and pen him up for half the season for this.

14. singsing

singsing Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2007
    In an earlier article the officer was stated to be a "she". Originally I thought Andrew had to be hammered, but only testing .10 makes me believe it wasn't much of a chase. .10 is about three beers in an hour which would have been the pace every other 20 year old would have been drinking while I was at Iowa State so I'm not going to knock Andrew a whole lot. A 10% suspension seems about right and I'm sure KJ has his own plans for AL right now.

15. cycfan1

cycfan1 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Student
    Ames
    I don't care that they caught up to him, but why didn't he take the officer down after he got caught.

16. Clonehomer

Clonehomer Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The thing with wrestling is that you can bench him for half the season and it doesn't really matter. In this sport the end of the season is all that really matters. As long as he wrestles enough to get himself a top seed he'll be fine. Better to make a statement now rather than making it over and over again for the next three years.

17. CycloneJoe

CycloneJoe Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Loser
    Carson City
    One more mistake and long is gone

He needs to get his head out of his a$$

18. Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
    Oldpeopleville
    Missing half the season makes it very difficult to get a good seed. Getting him a bad draw for Nationals isn't something that will be beneficial for anyone involved.

19. EYE4CY

EYE4CY Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Honestly for disciplinary actions it shouldnt matter how good the person is. Drinking underage, running from the cops, and a fake id is the same for the #2 kid and the #32 kid and should be treated as such. Honestly what would you think of Adrian Clayborn getting convicted of punching that cabby and KF only suspending him for one game "because he really good"...I dont think you would be happy just like most other people. As for half the season, maybe a little harsh but I dont know the kid personally. If he is one that will do it again(which it appears he may), maybe half the season is what he needs to see that he cant continue his actions.

20. Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
    Oldpeopleville
    I really don't give two ***** about what KF does for discipline. It doesn't affect me or anyone I know in any way, shape or form. That said, cutting him to half a season over this is overkill. The punishment now fits the crime.