It's so much fun to be a basketball fan again.

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by besserheimerphat, Mar 7, 2013.

1. besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Product Engineer
    Mount Vernon, WA
    That's all I got. I hadn't realized how much I missed living and dying with ISU basketball until the middle of last season, and this season has been a lot of fun so far.

2. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Yeah, for a few years before that it was just dying.

3. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Wayne Moore teams were fun to watch. Now we have Hoiball. What did you call that stuff in the middle? Boreball?

4. cyclonespiker33

cyclonespiker33 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Male
    Autocorrect I hope?

5. GMackey32

GMackey32 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Food Microbiologist
    Ames Via Cedar Falls
    Probably more of a "robot on the fritz" error.

6. klamath632

klamath632 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    It really feels awesome to be a Cyclone right now.

It reminds me of when I was a younger man, having just got married, and moved into the first home I ever purchased (a beautiful four-square right on Locust Street in Davenport, damn I miss that house), and our Cyclones had Marcus Fizer and Jamaal Tinsley. Michael Nurse, Kantrail Horton, Stevie Johnson. Paul Shirley.

It felt great knowing that we were good enough to play with anyone, and watching that team hang in there and win road games in the Big 12 conference. It was beautiful watching Fizer abuse the other big men in the league, and watching our shooters launch threes from anywhere in the half court. ****, they'd throw up thirty-footers and swish the hell out of them. That team was confident, it was arrogant, and it should have won a national championship. That game in Auburn Hills was ********.

I thought we had arrived. I thought we were going to take a perennial spot in the league as one of the contenders every year.

The next year happened, and it was even greater. A two seed?? Wow!! And even after the Hampton loss, I thought, meh. Bad luck. One game. We're still on top. But then Coed-gate happened. And transfer-gate.

Here we were three years ago, and things sucked. I'm so grateful that Freddie came back and has given us this gift. We know we have the talent and the coaching to play with any team in the land. If enough breaks go our way, we're good enough to win six games in March. **** on people who start these meltdown threads after losses. You ******* idiots must be about ten years old to throw a tantrum after these games. Don't you understand we had a chance to win these games at the end? Four years ago, we were getting blown out every. single. game. You want to complain about this team? **** YOU!

7. mapnerd

mapnerd Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Male
    Ames
    Can't agree more. I love having the feeling that we can win every game. We have the talent and the coach to do it. A few years ago I wouldn't even watch games versus Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, etc. because I knew there was absolutely no way we were going to win. We had absolutely no chance. Now, it can be done.

8. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Yeah, I want to complain about this team. I saw a couple of them on campus with sweatpants on.

9. Cycl1

Cycl1 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2012
    M.E.
    North Liberty
    dont sugar coat it klamath, tell us how you really feel.

10. klamath632

klamath632 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    I'm a fan of holding back. I don't like to upset people.

11. mitten1975

mitten1975 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    There is only one downside, I spend so much time these days obsessing about basketball, back in the good old McDoormat days, I had extra free time, which I could use constructively. Now I spend it all here on Cyclone fanatic, and obsessing about interviews and strategies. Even worse yet, our high school team is in the state tourney this year, and they are fun to watch. I hope I live through March madness to see another year.

12. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Not living and dying along with the fortunes of the team would probably extend my life by a few years (especially with a year like this one), but there's very little that compares with the adrenalin rush of a big Cyclone win.

13. KnappShack

KnappShack Well-Known Member

May 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    And this is just a middle of the pack Big 12 team that's on the bubble for the NCAA!

Just think if they were playing for a championship!