Its only one game .....but....

Discussion in 'Football' started by KMAC_ATTACK, Oct 26, 2010.

1. KMAC_ATTACK

KMAC_ATTACK Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Waterloo
    we really havent proven anything yet!!! To me, this week is just as big as last week for any chance at a bowl. That team we played last week was a talented team that on any given weekend can roll up a team....

But, there were three glaring improvements on this team.

1. Offensive Line - the completely dominated that Texas front which is rare.
    2. Defensive Line - its amazing how much early pressure changes how a game is played. The biggest improvement from one week to the next was the Dline. Lattimer's getting a lot of pub but i saw 38 in the backfield a lot too!!!! This allowed the two tackles to hold their own inside which is a huge upgrade from weeks past.
    3. Special Teams - Kirby had a huge day and those punts were boomers - it really changed the field position....he's on his way to becoming a All Big 12 Performer....

IF and its such a BIG IF, but, IF we can maintain that type of pressure off the edge, then i truly believe that anything is possible for the rest of the season. Is 8-4 out of the question - no...but realistically, i see it at 6-6 or 7-5 which would be a GREAT Season considering the gauntlet that this team had to endure.

PS - How good would that defensive front be if Rony Nelson had been ruled eligible????

2. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini
    Those lines dominating Texas showed what we are capable of. The players may have had an "aha!" moment. Lets hope they bring that to this game with them.

3. simply1

simply1 Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I agree that the team needs to take care of Kansas so that what happened last weekend doesn't get lost, it gets built on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rural

Rural Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    As long as the defense made stops and got off the field, the punter was a huge weapon in this game.

We only threw 23 times and only completed 11 for not much yardage. We punted 9 times.
    It's a game where the stats sort of lie because we didn't give up a TD until the start of the 4th quarter when we had a (relatively) safe 22 point lead.

5. Palmer

Palmer Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Male
    Education
    Johnston, IA
    A monster 'game changing' win for sure.

let us hope we can take advantage of it.

6. CycloneYoda

CycloneYoda Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Just don't lat an egg against KU, and this team has a huge opportunity for back-to-back bowl seasons.

7. heitclone

heitclone Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Male
    Recreation Therapist
    Malvern, IA
    This is definately one to build on, and a great sell to recruits. The staff can point to last years game in Lincoln and this win as great pub for the program. Who cares why you're on ESPN as long as you are, this win will keep coming up as we play other big teams this year. You know when discussing the games against Nebby and Mizzou that the experts will be reminding people not to sleep on ISU because we've shown we can be dangerous.

8. UNIGuy4Cy

UNIGuy4Cy Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Accountant
    Polk City
    All will be lost if we lose this week.

9. atlantacyclone

atlantacyclone Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Real Estate
    Fontvieille Monaco
    How much did the D line shakeup make a difference? Its frustrating to see Baylor at 6-2... what would our record be if we played the same teams? Having said that, we are getting little respect from CFN. I like that, we have never been a great favored team.

10. jburke

jburke Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    IT Application Analyst
    Ankeny, IA
    <QUOTE\>PS - How good would that defensive front be if Rony Nelson had been ruled eligible????<\QUOTE>

Totally agree, if we get 1-2 good DT recruits(JUCO, instant impact Tuba style) in the mix next year we will have great depth here.....

11. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Hope it is 31-0 us at halftime. Take no chances/take no prisoners. Then we might get to see bo Williams run a second time. Hope to see some more Capello handoffs.

12. jburke

jburke Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    IT Application Analyst
    Ankeny, IA
    Bo is getting a medical RS from what I have heard. Concussions and knee surgery.

13. tejasclone

tejasclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Technical Writer
    Austin, TX
    Agreed that it would be nice to make it a laugher so we can give the starters some rest and get the back-ups some reps. Really, though, we just have to win this one, no matter what the score is.

14. Al_4_State

Al_4_State Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    I'd love to see us run the ball effectively right out the gate on saturday, then hit them w/a play action. Lots more running and play action.

15. KMAC_ATTACK

KMAC_ATTACK Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Waterloo
    I hate to agree with you but, there are two programs that played one heckuva game last week in Iacity that use that methodology and surprisingly it seems to work.

If our line can open those same running lanes, KU will be flat out in trouble because they do not have the talent that TU has....it could be ugly....

One question though....with the holes that we saw against UT - why didnt Shontrelle get a few more carries? I would love to see us up big at half and give Shontrelle the entire second half.....that could be huge as the season progresses.

I'm calling at least one pass to AROB on the wheel route for a td - about 28 yards..... and one big run by SJ for 35 yards but stopped short of the end zone...

Final Score - ISU 35 KU 13

16. mizouse87

mizouse87 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Des Moines
    I may be dreaming here....but I think a goal of ours should be a shutout. It may be lofty, but shouldn't goals be a little lofty?

17. JustRedman

JustRedman Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Gilbert
    I really hope that is true for Bo. He may never see the field for us, but after Shontrell's 60+ yard TD vs Tech Bo was right there congradulating SJ. You could tell he was happy as a clam to see SJ break that one off. He was a 4* out of HS, Florida transfer, next-big-thing type of recruit who may never see another carry, but he looked into the game and 100% happy that a tFR is doing well. He could have hung his head, quit the team, transfered, etc. but he hasn't yet and I hope he doesn't. I hope he doesn't ever regret coming to ISU. If nothing else be a positive mentor to the younger guys, Bo. It doesn't go unnoticed.

18. tejasclone

tejasclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Technical Writer
    Austin, TX
    I also wondered why Shontrelle didn't get any carries. He was in the game returning kickoffs, so he wasn't hurt. Maybe the coaches wanted ARob's experience and Woody's sure-handedness in there to seal the deal? Oh well. Hope to see him piling up the yards against KU.

19. mikem

mikem Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Quite simply, it's the biggest game in the Rhoads era to this point. They need to win convincingly....I don't mean 49-0, but 31-14 with the game never in doubt would be a great step.

As much as Kansas has struggled this year, they still look at this as one of the winnable games on their schedule. We need to establish we are better right away.

This group had every reason to give up after the previous two weeks. The fact that they didn't speaks volumes to their character, and the job that this staff has done keeping them together.

20. heitclone

heitclone Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Male
    Recreation Therapist
    Malvern, IA
    Even if we were winless the KU game would be huge. We've let them off the hook the last 2 seasons, I'm sure that won't be lost on CPR and this team.